the Amateur Softball Association

Taylor Hoagland left Texas as the school’s career leader in home runs (58), runs (221), walks (178), on-base percentage (.501) and slugging percentage (.708).

Photo Credit: Shweta Gulati | Daily Texan Staff
Texas Women's Softball standouts Taylor Thom and Taylor Hoagland have been selected to play for the 2013 USA Women’s National Team. The decision was announced early Friday afternoon by USA Softball and the Amateur Softball Association.

Both are coming off a successful Texas season which saw the Longhorns make their third trip in program history to the Women's College World Series semifinal and their highest post-season ranking, finishing No. 3 in both the USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association and ESPN.com/USA Softball final polls. The ranking from the NFCA is the highest Texas has ever been in the organization's final poll, while the mark is tied with the 2006 squad for the highest in the last USA Softball poll.

Hoagland's second USA roster selection after three invitations will finalize what was an outstanding career as a Longhorn while Thom, a junior, will be playing with the national team for the first time, before returning for her senior season at Texas.

The USA women's softball team will begin play for the World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City on July 11-14, before competing in events throughout the summer in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

Thirty-two athletes will be competing for one of seventeen roster spots on the 2013 USA Softball Women’s National Team and two Texas Longhorns earned themselves an invitation. 

Taylor Hoagland and Taylor Thom represented the University of Texas at the 2013 USA Softball Women’s Selection Camp, which was held June 10-12 at the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) Hall of Fame Complex in Oklahoma City.

During a three-day selection process, the invited athletes competed in simulated games and position drills. The selected athletes will then represent the US in three separate events in Canada, Puerto Rico and the United States 

Hoagland earned her third career invitation after a very successful senior season. The National Fastpitch Coaches Association First-Team All-American ended the season with the second-most walks per game among Division 1 players at 1.2. Hoagland made Longhorn history with the highest on-base percentage of .610, earning her the top spot in the history of the program and a third place ranking nationally. Hoagland was also an NFCA All-Central Region and All-Big 12 First-Team Honoree.

Thom earned her invitation after a junior campaign that set the Texas record for runs batted in with 66. Thom earned spots on both the NFCA All-Central Region and All-Big 12 First teams, while also earning a spot as an NFCA Third-Team All-American. Her 15 home runs placed her second on the program’s single season chart while managing to climb to third on the program’s list of runs in a season with 55.

Both Hoagland and Thom join a list of Longhorns who have been invited to participate. Lexy Bennett earned an invitation in 2012, Blaire Luna received an invitation in both 2010 and 2011 and Kat Osterman after earning invitations in both 2009 and 2010. 

Camp selections will be made June 14, and the events of the camp will be open to the public and will also stream live on www.usasoftball.com.

The selected players will compete with the women’s national team to defend their world cup title at the World Cup of Softball VIII, July 11-14, in Oklahoma City.