Brittany Nicole Henderson

A connection has been made between the man charged with making a false email bomb threat against Texas A&M University on Oct. 19 and the woman charged with making three false email bomb threats against Texas State University on Oct. 18 and Oct. 19.

The Texas A&M University Police Department arrested Dereon Tayronne Kelly, 22, of Bryan in connection with a bomb threat that was emailed to Texas A&M’s Computing Information Services Department on Oct. 19, forcing the evacuation of the entire university. Allan Baron, Texas A&M police spokesperson, said Kelly is an acquaintance of Brittany Nicole Henderson, 19, who was arrested Oct. 23 by Bryan police for making one email bomb threat against Texas State on Oct. 18 that forced the evacuation of three campus buildings and two email bomb threats the next day. University operations were not affected by the second and third bomb threats.

Texas A&M and Texas State police said no bombs were found in either case. The targeted area of Texas State, its admissions building, was searched Oct. 18, and the entire Texas A&M campus was searched Oct. 19.

UT received a false phone-in bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of the campus Sept. 14. Bob Harkins, associate vice president of Campus Safety and Security, said UT officials do not believe the threat is related to the bomb threats made against Texas A&M and Texas State.

According to a press release issued by Texas A&M police Monday, Texas A&M Police Department investigators, the FBI and several other law enforcement agencies were able to link Kelly to the threat through his cellphone, and Henderson remains a person of interest in that case.

Daniel Benitez, captain of operations for the Texas State University Police Department, said Henderson’s arrest came after Texas State police were able to link the threat to her email account.

Kelly was arrested at the Brazos County Jail, where he was being held for unrelated charges. He has been charged with making a terroristic threat, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Henderson was charged with three counts of making a terroristic threat and three counts of making a false alarm, a misdemeanor.

Kelly and Henderson remain in the Brazos County Jail. Kelly is being held on $150,000 bond each and Henderson on $300,000 bond.

Printed on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 as: Link found in bomb threats 

Connection made between those arrested for Texas State and Texas A&M University email bomb threats

A connection has been made between the man charged with making a false email bomb threat against Texas A&M University on Oct. 19 and the woman charged with making three false email bomb threats against Texas State University on Oct. 18 and 19.

The Texas A&M University Police Department has arrested Dereon Tayronne Kelly, 22, of Bryan in connection with a bomb threat that was emailed to Texas A&M’s Computing Information Services Department on Oct. 19, forcing the evacuation of the entire university. Allan Baron, Texas A&M police spokesperson, said Kelly is an acquaintance of Brittany Nicole Henderson, 19, who was arrested Oct. 23 by Bryan police for making one email bomb threat against Texas State on Oct. 18, that forced the evacuation of three campus buildings, and two email bomb threats the next day.

Texas A&M and Texas State police said no bombs were found in either case. The targeted area of Texas State, its admissions building, was searched on Oct. 18 and the entire Texas A&M campus was searched on Oct. 19. No bombs were found in either case.

UT received a false phone-in bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of our entire campus on Sept. 14.

Bob Harkins, associate vice president of Campus Safety and Security, said UT officials do not believe the threat is related to the bomb threats made against Texas A&M and Texas State.

According to a press release issued by Texas A&M police Monday, investigators with the Texas A&M Police Department, the FBI and several other law enforcement agencies were able to link Kelly to the threat through his cellular telephone, and Henderson remains a person of interest in that case.

Kelly was arrested at the Brazos County jail where he was being held for unrelated charges. He has been charged with making a terroristic threat, a third degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Henderson was charged with three charges of making a terroristic threat, a third degree felony, and three charges of making a false alarm, a misdemeanor.

Kelly and Henderson remain in the Brazos County Jail. Henderson is being held on $150,000 bond and Henderson on $300,000 bond.

Former Texas State student detained for three charges related to bomb threat

Former student and Bryan resident Brittany Nicole Henderson was arrested Tuesday after being traced to the emails sent providing false information about the bomb threat at Texas State University.

Henderson, a 19 year old withdrawn Texas State student, is currently being detained at Brazos County Jail and was charged with a Class A misdemeanor, a third degree felony and making a terroristic threat.

The bogus threat linked to Henderson caused the evacuation of three buildings on campus and cited an ongoing investigation at Texas State University. Police at Texas A&M University, which received a similar bomb threat one day after Texas State did, have yet to determine whether or the two incidents were related.

Texas State University Police refuse to comment on two more received threats

Bryan police arrested former Texas State University student Brittany Nicole Henderson, 19, Tuesday in connection with an Oct. 18 false email bomb threat made against Texas State University’s admissions building.

Henderson has also been charged with making two other email threats against Texas State University, but Texas State University police declined to comment on those threats. Texas State University police said no connection has been made between the threats made against Texas State University and other bomb threats recently made against universities across the country. Those include an  Oct. 19 false email bomb threat against Texas A&M University and a Sept. 14 false phone bomb threat against UT. Both prompted campus-wide evacuations and forced the cancellation of classes for those days.

Daniel Benitez, captain of operations for the Texas State University Police Department, said the FBI’s Joint Terroristic Task Force, the Austin Police Department Bomb Squad, the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Fusion Center and several other agencies are investigating the recent bomb threats across the country.

No arrest has been made at this time in regard to the Sept. 14 bomb threat at UT.

Henderson now faces three charges of making a terroristic threat, a third-degree felony, and three charges of making a false alarm, a misdemeanor, Benitez said.

Texas State University police said their university evacuated its admissions building and two dorm complexes on Oct. 18 after receiving an email bomb threat . The email was sent to the university email account of a Houston-based admissions officer. No bomb was found and classes were not interrupted that day.

Benitez said Henderson enrolled at Texas State University and withdrew in late September for unknown reasons. He said she has no prior criminal record and is currently in police custody.