Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau

Photo Credit: Juan Figueroa | Daily Texan Staff

Kansas State played two steps ahead on Saturday night, and it didn’t matter.

The No. 6 Longhorns won on the Wildcats’ terms at the Frank Erwin Center, besting a Kansas State team that seemed to make all the necessary adjustments.

Texas 76; Kansas State 54.

The first adjustment came two minutes into the game when junior forward Jatarie White put the Wildcats on notice by scoring the opening four Texas points and snagging two offensive rebounds.

Kansas State head coach Jeff Mittie countered, quickly subbing senior forward Kaylee Page out for 6-foot-4-inch freshman center Mary Lakes. The increase in size proved effective as White went silent for the remainder of the quarter, failing to score another point.

The second adjustment came after the Longhorns (20–4, 11–2 Big 12) implemented a full-court press midway through the first — the same press that forced Kansas State into 19 turnovers when the two teams previously faced off on Jan. 7.

This time, the Wildcats kept their cool, repeatedly breaking the press and extending their range for a banquet of open threes. Kansas State made the Longhorns pay, shooting 3-of-4 from deep as Texas ended the first quarter with a hard-earned 23-21 lead.

“We got a little undisciplined,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “We fouled and didn’t always get back in transition, so I thought that allowed (Kansas State) to make a lot of plays.”

The Wildcats intensified the pressure in the second quarter, this time focusing on Texas’ attack in the paint. Kansas State forced the Longhorns to change their bruising style of play, using a 2-3 zone that dared them to shoot from deep instead.

The Longhorns failed to take advantage, shooting an abysmal 1-of-5 from long range as they clung to a 27-25 lead with 7:17 left before halftime.

With Texas’ starting lineup struggling to generate offense, Aston made an adjustment of her own, calling sophomore guard Alecia Sutton off the bench for a spark.

The move paid off as the St. Louis native scored four points, including a buzzer-beating 2-point pull-up before the half that capped off a 12-5 Longhorn run and gave Texas a 39-30 lead.

“I just felt like it brought the energy up after I made that shot,” Sutton said. “We were kind of dead in the first half, so I just wanted to give some energy to the team.”

With the game still up for grabs, Texas found its saving grace in senior Brooke McCarty. The shifty 5-foot-4-inch guard, who’d been contained to just four points in the first half, finally broke free in the third quarter.

McCarty exposed the Wildcats’ defense, igniting a personal 10-0 run as the Longhorns blew open a 60-41 lead with 3:30 left in the third quarter. For the first time all night, Kansas State didn’t have an answer.

Texas rallied around its senior leader as the Longhorns entered the final quarter of play with an imposing 66-44 lead.

“I just fed off my teammates,” McCarty said. “I tried to get them the ball, but when I was open they got me the ball and I just took advantage of what the defense gave me.”

The fourth quarter was merely a formality as Texas put the finishing touches on a 22-point win. McCarty finished the night with a team-high 17 points.

Sophomore forward Joyner Holmes also excelled, after senior forward Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau was sidelined by a left wrist injury in the second quarter. Holmes scored 11 points and added seven rebounds. The Cedar Hill native could see more minutes in the future, should Caron-Goudreau miss some time with the injury.

“I think I can contribute in whatever way my team needs,” Holmes said. “It’ll be tough, but I think I can fill her role as best as I can.”

The victory marked Texas’ fifth-straight season with at least 20 wins. The Longhorns have little time for celebration, though, as they now shift their focus to a home game against Texas Tech on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Photo Credit: Brooke Crim | Daily Texan Staff

Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau walked into the Frank Erwin Center on Friday determined to figure out what went wrong.

The senior forward and her team were still licking their wounds from an 81-56 mauling at the hands of No. 3 Baylor on Thursday night — Texas’ worst loss since 2016.

Now the Longhorns faced a short turnaround as they were set to host Iowa State on Saturday at 7 p.m. But instead of drilling her team with a tough day of practice and yelling, head coach Karen Aston sent them to the film room.

What Caron-Goudreau saw was eye opening.

“(Our) energy and connectivity between players wasn’t there during the Baylor game,” Caron-Goudreau said. “But we didn’t have time to feel sorry for ourselves. We just had to go to sleep early and go back to work the next day.”

Caron-Goudreau walked into the Erwin Center on Saturday with one thing on her mind – beating Iowa State. That mindset translated into an 87-55 thrashing of the Cyclones on Saturday night — the largest win-margin for Texas in the history of the two teams’ series.

Iowa State came out with some intensity of its own to start, as senior guard Emily Durr torched the Longhorns for the first nine Cyclone points of the game.

With Texas scrambling for an answer, Ariel Atkins delivered. The senior guard countered by nailing a mid-range jumper and sinking a corner three as the Longhorns trailed, 12-11, with 3:08 left in the first quarter.

Texas followed Atkins’ lead, clawing its way to an 18-17 advantage at the break.

“Iowa State is hard to guard,” Aston said. “I thought that after the first quarter we did a pretty good job of adjusting.”

The Cyclones didn’t budge in the second quarter, battling the Longhorns to reclaim a 29-28 lead with 4:19 left before halftime.

Texas dug deep, calling sophomore forward Joyner Holmes off the bench for a source of offense in the paint. Holmes made the most of her seven minutes, exploding for six points and four rebounds in the quarter.

Iowa State had no answer for the Longhorns’ attack as Texas ended the quarter on an 11-1 run to take a 39-30 lead at the half.

“I think it was just about recognizing our matchups,” Holmes said. “They had some smalls on us, and so I just took advantage of the matchup and tried to score inside the paint.”

The Longhorns went for the knockout at the start of the third quarter, suffocating the Cyclones with a full-court press that resulted in three turnovers and a 14-0 Texas run.

Caron-Goudreau finally broke free, feasting off an Iowa State defense that looked feeble in the paint. The 6-foot-4 senior put on a clinic, scoring 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting as Texas took a commanding 66-44 lead into the fourth quarter.

“It was definitely different from the Baylor game,” Caron-Goudreau said. “I feel like we were able to pass it more to the post. It was just a different game.”

The fourth quarter saw no change as Texas placed the finishing touches on a dominant 32-point win. Atkins led the way with a team-high 15 points on an efficient 6-for-8 performance. Caron-Goudreau kept pace, posting 12 points to go with a pair of rebounds.

The victory gives Texas (16–4, 7–2 Big 12) some momentum as the Longhorns must now hit the road for a showdown against Kansas on Wednesday at 7 p.m.