Adrienne Howarth-Moore

Photo Credit: Andrea Kurth | Daily Texan Staff

While many universities continue to grapple with unclear policies regarding recently popular electronic cigarettes, UT set a clear ban on them during the 2012 tobacco-free initiative. 

Adrienne Howarth-Moore, director of UT’s Human Resource Services, said the decision to include other smoking devices that do not directly use tobacco, including e-cigarettes, in the tobacco-free campus initiative was based in part on the unknown potential health risks e-cigarettes pose to nonsmokers.

“E-cigarettes are not currently regulated by the FDA and there is not sufficient safety information available to address bystanders’ concerns of being exposed to e-cigarette vapors,” Howarth-Moore said. ”The University benchmarked the definition used by other institutions already tobacco free and consulted with the Austin Travis County Health and Human Services Department.”

Howarth-Moore said banning e-cigarettes was part of the stipulation for tobacco-free campus funding from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, or CPRIT.

“CPRIT does include e-cigarettes as a prohibited item for purposes of certifying an entity as meeting their tobacco free criteria,” Howarth-Moore said. “To allow e-cigarettes would jeopardize CPRIT funding.”

According to Howarth-Moore, there was a student survey given in 2011 about opinions toward cigarettes on campus, but there was never a similar survey for e-cigarettes. Howarth-Moore said the ban on e-cigarettes was approved by representatives from multiple organization on campus, including Student Government, Staff Council and Faculty Council.

English junior Alexa Capareda said she doesn’t think e-cigarettes are bothersome in the same way as regular cigarettes. But she said when people are allowed to smoke them in enclosed spaces, it can be uncomfortable.

“They don’t smell so they aren’t as bad, but I saw someone smoking one on the bus and it caught me off guard,” Capareda said. “Maybe people shouldn’t be allowed to smoke them in enclosed spaces, like on a bus.”

Elysse Alvarado, international and global relations junior, said she believes e-cigarettes do not seem to be a problem on campus.

“I’ve never seen anyone smoking an electronic cigarette, I didn’t even know they were banned,” Alvarado said.

Aaron Dugan, part owner of smoke shop Austin City Vapors on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, said having an on-campus ban on e-cigarettes has not been detrimental to business.

“I don’t feel like the ban has affected business because this is something that people are using to quit,” Dugan said. “If they want to quit, they are going to use it.”

Biology senior Muhammad Alsaedi smokes a cigarette at the Littlefield temporary smoking area Thursday evening. Starting March 1, smoking tobacco will no longer be allowed at the 15 temporary locations to make the University a fully tobacco-free campus.

The University will remove temporary smoking locations next month to become a fully tobacco-free campus but will continue to enforce the policy without fining violators.

Starting March 1, smoking tobacco will no longer be allowed at the 15 temporary locations, including two at the Pickle Research Center.

University spokeswoman Adrienne Howarth-Moore said the tobacco-free policy applies to UT property and areas under the University’s control, excluding neighboring streets. She said the University will monitor areas on campus where tobacco use is reported.

“Although there is not currently a fines structure in place, if someone repeatedly is advised to not use tobacco products and they continue to use those products, that is a violation of campus policy,” Howarth-Moore said. “It will be treated like any other violation of policy.”

Current violations of campus policy are dealt with by various organizations. For example, students who breach University policy must deal with it through Student Judicial Services at the Dean of Students.

In February 2012, the Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas, or CPRIT, required the University to make all facilities tobacco-free by March of that year to continue to recieve research funding. The University allowed select temporary smoking areas on its facilities for one year, as well as allowing smoking for academic research.

According to the University Health Services’ college health assessment survey, 2.7 percent of UT students reported smoking at least one cigarrette every day of the month. The American Cancer Association reports that 19 percent of the United States adult population smokes.

Psychology junior Ticiane Silva said she smokes about 10 cigarettes a day, often near Littlefield Patio Cafe, and is not planning on quitting because of the campus-wide ban. She said students who regularly meet there will likely just walk to neighboring streets to smoke between class.

“Last semester this area was pretty famous. We call it ‘The Lounge,’” Silva said. “We’ll just go to Dean Keaton now.”

University Health Services offers a mobile app and informative classes to help smokers who want to quit make the transition easier. Resources to help individuals minimize tobacco use increased through the semester.

“Although they’re offering those classes to help you quit smoking, it’s not that I want to quit and can’t,” Silva said. “I don’t want to quit. I like it.”

Marketing senior Alejandra Garcia said she’s glad the temporary location near the Red McCombs School of Business will be smoke-free because it impacts everyone passing by, not just those smoking.

“I hate passing by there,” Garcia said. “If they were somewhere else I wouldn’t even be concerned about it, but because it’s so close to where I go basically all day it does bother me. I don’t think that I should have to be succumb to second-hand smoke when I don’t even smoke.”

Howarth-Moore said although CPRIT’s requirement allowed the University to implement the policy quickly, UT had been concerned with minimizing tobacco use, including making the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium smoke-free.

“Because of the CPRIT requirement, what could’ve taken three to five years to accomplish, we had to accomplish it in months,” she said. “Looking at the future, we’re going to be a healthier institution.”

Published on January 25, 2013 as "Campus to phase out temporary smoking areas". 

The University cannot give faculty and staff a holiday the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Adrienne Howarth-Moore, director of UT’s human resource services, told The Daily Texan Tuesday.

The limitation is because of a restriction from the State Legislature that designates 17 days as official holidays for state institutions. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is not designated as an official holiday, although the Friday after is.

“We as an institution can’t go against the law,” Moore said.

She said the University is permitted much more flexibility for students. A document titled “Principles for the Development of the Academic Calendar,” amended by the Faculty Council in 2007, looks to keep a minimum of 70 class days in a semester. Adding days to the Thanksgiving break would mean taking some away from the winter break.

Jordan Clark, business honors junior and Out-of-State Students Association president, said the University’s break schedule means many out-of-state students choose to stick around campus rather than pay exorbitant Thanksgiving travel prices. He said most out-of-state students he knows are OK with this because they acknowledge the implications of attending an institution far from home.

Still, Erik Hermes, an advertising senior from Florida and officer in the Out-of-State Students Association, said he would prefer to be home, but that it just isn’t feasible. Hermes said air tickets and his brother’s tests on Wednesday prevented them from going home this Thanksgiving.

“When [students] are forced to wait till the last minute, air fare prices are higher,” Hermes said.

Jason Zielinski, a spokesperson for Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, said Wednesday is always a peak day for the airport.

“We expect to see at least 30,000 people,” Zielinski said. “We’re up 3.5 percent this year.”

Zielinski said traffic at the airport peaks again on the Sunday and Monday after Thanksgiving as people pour back into Austin.

Because of these factors, Hermes said it was easier for him and his brother to have their mother travel to Austin. He said he wished the University didn’t have Wednesday as a class day because many professors, like his, cancel classes while others don’t. He and his brother have no option to fly back on Wednesday together.

“We wanted to fly back together,” Hermes said. “I want to see more standardization across the board.”

Rice University initiates partial smoking ban to comply with Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, which grants Rice and UT-Austin alike. (File photo illustration)

Photo Credit: Shea Carley | Daily Texan Staff

The battle over tobacco use on university campuses continues to heat up as Texas schools take different policy approaches.

UT banned tobacco campus-wide earlier this year after the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas changed its grant application, announcing a provision prohibiting tobacco use in areas of campus where institute-funded cancer research takes place. The institute is a state-funded organization that works to fight cancer through research funding and other initiatives and has awarded UT more than $33 million for cancer research.

This past Saturday, Rice University also announced it was adopting a tobacco-free policy to comply with CPRIT guidelines. However, Rice only implemented a partial tobacco ban, leading some to question whether UT’s full ban was necessary. Rice’s partial ban consists of 13 designated areas on-campus where tobacco use is allowed.

Whichever route to compliance CPRIT-funded entities choose, Heidi McConnell, chief operating officer for CPRIT, said as long as they follow grant rules, their funding will not be affected.

Adrienne Howarth-Moore, UT director for human resource services, said the University thought a partial ban would not have been cost-feasible because of the logistics of where CPRIT-funded research happens at UT.

“There are a multitude of buildings on-campus that have CPRIT research going on, and those buildings can change from semester to semester as each semester comes around and new research initiatives are proposed,” she said.

“Administratively, from a cost-and-resource perspective, that would mean we would have to re-map and potentially move locations every semester.”

UT’s 431-acre campus received $20.4 million in CPRIT funding last year, while Rice’s 285-acre campus received $10.8 million, according to CPRIT and U.S. News & World Report.

In an interview with the Rice Thresher, Rice’s university campus newspaper, Kevin Kirby, vice president for administration at Rice, said a campus-wide tobacco ban would not have been appropriate at Rice due to other feasibility concerns.

“For us, a complete ban was not practical or enforceable and would lead to unintended consequences like people moving to nearby neighborhoods or sidewalks around campus,” Kirby said.

Howarth-Moore said she is not sure how the possible effectiveness of only a partial ban at Rice could affect the policy at UT, but she believes higher education is going toward a tobacco-free direction. She said the University worked on several initiatives to make UT tobacco-free prior to the new CPRIT regulation and a national tobacco-free university initiative is being introduced by the U.S. government later this month.

Since the beginning of the tobacco-ban at UT last spring, the administration has mainly been focused on communicating the new policy to the UT community, as most violations have been due to lack of awareness. With the placement of signs around campus over the summer, however, Howarth-Moore said UT will now begin to evaluate the effectiveness of the new policy.

“We’re really planning to do an assessment this semester, as it’s the first with the policy and signage in place,” she said.

Howarth-Moore said plans are still in place to completely ban tobacco on UT’s campus this February. There are currently designated areas throughout UT’s campus where tobacco use is allowed in order to make the transition to a tobacco-free campus easier.

According to the Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights, 562 colleges have enacted campus-wide tobacco bans.

Printed on Tuesday, September 4th, 2012 as: Rice passes partial ban on tobacco 

After years of heated debate over the use of tobacco on campus, UT announced Wednesday it will prohibit the use of tobacco products on all University property effective this month.

The UT Board of Regents approved the new tobacco policy on Monday, making UT the fourth institution under the UT System to implement a ban.

University spokeswoman Adrienne Howarth-Moore said people will be able to use tobacco in the 15 temporary designated areas on campus during the first year of implementation but will be required to adhere to the policy by Feb. 28, 2013. The policy prohibits the use of tobacco products on University-owned sidewalks, parking areas, walkways, attached parking structures and buildings. Tobacco will only be allowed at the temporary designated tobacco areas, and for educational or clinical purposes, fine arts productions, sponsored research and off-campus graduate housing facilities.

The University’s previous policy only prohibited smoking within buildings and required people to smoke 20 feet away building entrances.

Howarth-Moore said sidewalks adjacent to UT property, such as the sidewalks on Guadalupe Street, will not be included in the ban. The ban will also exclude sidewalks and property on Guadalupe Street, Dean Keeton Street, Red River Street and Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard.

She said the University will be removing ashtrays surrounding campus buildings in the next couple of months, launching an educational campaign and putting up signs to inform the UT community about the new policy. She said at this time there are no plans to implement a financial penalty if people violate the ban and repeat violations will be directed to the appropriate student, faculty and staff liaisons.

Howarth-Moore said the UT administration understands the challenges this new policy places on people who are current tobacco users, but hopes people will see this change as an opportunity to quit and take advantage of tobacco cessation resources on campus.

“If people choose not to take advantage of the tobacco resources we are providing, we hope that this gives them time to adjust their work schedule and start to think about how they will implement this policy in their work or school day,” Howarth-Moore said. “This is the right direction for the University.”

UT first announced plans on Feb. 9 to possibly change its tobacco policy after the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas announced new rules requiring all institutions receiving cancer research funds to become tobacco-free by Aug. 31. If the University did not comply with the new rules, it would not be eligible to receive future funding from the institute. The institute provides approximately $31 million for more than 20 professors working on cancer research. UT plans to apply for $88 million later this year.

In a February campus-wide email, University officials stated they planned to develop a policy by March 1 to meet the deadlines stated by Cancer Research and Prevention Institute of Texas. Howarth-Moore said there was a misunderstanding on the deadline to be in compliance with the new policy.

Kristen Doyle, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas lawyer and a cancer survivor, said March 1 was the adoption date of the new rule and grantees have until Aug. 31 to develop a new policy.

Doyle said although she has not seen the policy, it seems like UT has gone above and beyond banning tobacco in buildings where cancer research takes place, the minimum requirement the institute called for.

Doyle said she thinks it is great UT has adopted a tobacco-free policy on campus.

“Preventing people from taking up both smoking and tobacco use, especially now when they’re in college, will help them for the rest of their lives,” Doyle said. “As a cancer survivor, I hope someone else won’t have to have that awful moment and hear, ‘Oh, you’ve got cancer.’”

Howarth-Moore said although the University had previously considered only banning tobacco use in buildings and areas where cancer research took place, they decided against it. Many professors and graduate students conducting research will often have their lab in one building but may go to places such as the library in the Main Building to analyze their research, Howarth-Moore said, and that makes the building a cancer research facility.

Howarth-Moore said new research facilities are added and change every semester and would make a tobacco ban only encompassing cancer research buildings difficult and confusing to implement.

Matthew Haviland, president of the UT Texas Public Health Organization, said he thinks the tobacco ban will contribute to the improving the health of students and potentially decreasing insurance costs.

The organization conducted a survey last semester and found that out of 1,551 respondents, 77 percent indicated they wanted a stronger tobacco policy at UT. Among the people who identified as smokers who took the survey, about one-third said they wanted stricter limits on tobacco use.

Haviland said he sat on a committee with administrators to discuss the possible implementation of a tobacco ban and expected the announcement.

He said he hopes this encourages the city of Austin and schools across the U.S. to consider banning tobacco.

Printed on Thursday, April 12, 2012 as: UT approves tobacco ban across campus

Photo Credit: Nick Gregg | Daily Texan Staff

The University’s efforts to comply with new anti-tobacco requirements from its funding providers has sparked debate over which areas of UT such a policy may affect.

The Cancer Prevention Resource Institute of Texas released guidelines on Feb. 2 calling for all current and future entities receiving research funds from their institute to enact tobacco-free policies by March 1. UT spokeswoman Adrienne Howarth-Moore said UT’s current policy only addresses smoking on campus and does not address the other forms of tobacco use.

UT has received more than $30 million for cancer research from CPRIT and plans to apply for about $88 million more next year. CPRIT was created by a Texas constitutional amendment in 2007 that authorized the state to deliver $3 billion for cancer research. To date, CPRIT has awarded 364 grants and almost $600 million across Texas, according to its officials.

Howarth-Moore said the wording of CPRIT’s guidelines make creating a new tobacco policy a complicated process. She said there are many professors on campus doing cancer research in places like L. Theo Bellmont Hall, Robert A. Welch Hall and the Main Building but can change research locations throughout the semester, which raises questions about exactly where these enforcements will be made.

“We’re trying to figure out exactly what impacts our campus,” Howarth-Moore said, “and how many buildings we have CPRIT-funded activities going on in. The list keeps growing as we identify different resources."

Howarth-Moore said she does not anticipate any resistance from the UT System if the University does decide to implement a campus-wide tobacco ban or another variation of the policy. She said any policy adopted by UT would not be enforced with fines but with education, communication and direction to tobacco cessation resources.

CPRIT’s policy includes all buildings and structures where funded research takes place to be tobacco-free, including sidewalks, parking lots, walkways and immediately adjacent and attached parking structures. The policy applies to all property owned, operated, leased, occupied or controlled by UT.

Rebecca Garcia, CPRIT’s chief prevention officer, said CPRIT adopted the policy because all tobacco products are harmful and are linked to various cancers and diseases. Garcia said approximately 24,000 Texans die each year from tobacco-related diseases and that tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable disease and death in Texas.

“We hope that all tobacco users will quit, but we recognize some may choose to continue to use these products and that this policy may make it more inconvenient for them,” Garcia said. “By enacting this policy, CPRIT is sending the message that we want to work with organizations that share our mission and are as serious about fighting cancer as we are.”

Erika Frahm, chairwoman for Staff Council, said Staff Council had originally been against the Student Government resolution calling for a smoke free campus in 2011 because of the restrictive nature of the proposal. Frahm said staff members do not have the flexible schedules that students and faculty do, and the SG policy would have been very restrictive on staff members, some of whom only receive two 15-minute breaks a day.

“In the past, there was the questions about enforcement and why we need this and who has the right to dictate what wellness looks like,” Frahm said. “In the present day, it deals with funding sources for cancer, and that changes the game plan.”

Frahm said many members of Staff Council still have concerns over the enforcement of tobacco policy on campus. She said Staff Council will work together with UT administration to look for ways to equitably enforce a tobacco policy on campus, and to make sure the administration is aware that there are people with various lifestyles.

Anthony Pekowski, a radio-television-film senior, said he started smoking when he was 14 years old and considers himself addicted to tobacco. Pekowski said he smokes cigarettes in between classes to help him focus and participate in class, and a tobacco ban harms his ability to be a good student.

“I am entirely against this,” Pekowski said. “I think it is impending on my rights and my freedoms as a student and as a citizen. I’m going to keep on smoking even if they do enact a tobacco ban.”

Matt Portillo, music and rhetoric and writing senior and former University-wide representative, said he opposed the Student Government resolution last year and opposes the tobacco ban this year. Portillo said it was unfair to ask students and visitors of the University to change their lifestyle while on campus.

“I think it’s a pretty unaccommodating and insensitive thing for any outside organization to dangle research money in front of us and say, ‘You want it, well here’s your laundry list of things to do to get it,’” Portillo said.

Printed on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 as: Campus smoking ban sparks debate

A student smokes outside of the Communications plaza Thursday evening. The university could lose millions of research dollars from one of its top research funders if it does not adopt a tobacco-free policy by March 1.

Fumes from the University’s tobacco policy have ignited conversation over the future of the substance on UT grounds.

Because of a new provision from one of the University’s top research funders, UT will need to enact a tobacco-free policy or risk losing millions of research dollars.

The Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas, a voter-mandated organization that awards millions of research dollars each year to entities pursuing cancer research, released a statement on Feb. 2 stating it will now require all current and future grantees to create tobacco-free workplaces as a condition for accepting the Institute’s funds. UT currently receives approximately $31 million for cancer research from the Institute and is applying for $88 million this year.

The Institute has given UT until March 1 to make appropriate policy changes.

In a campus-wide email on Wednesday, University officials said they will be meeting with various organizations on campus — including Student Government, Faculty Council and Staff Council — over the next two weeks to discuss policy options. University spokeswoman Adrienne Howarth-Moore said losing this money would be detrimental to the University’s research endeavors.

Howarth-Moore said if the University adopts a tobacco-free policy by March 1, it will seek to support current tobacco users by providing education and resources.

“Education, communication and helping people understand the reason behind the change is going to be a challenge,” Howarth-Moore said. “We don’t just have a focus on research, but cancer research. We want to be able to eradicate cancer.”

If adopted, the smoking ban will also restrict smoking and tobacco during times of sporting events and tailgates, Howarth-Moore said. Exceptions will only occur in special circumstances, such as when tobacco is used for research or as a prop in a fine arts production.

Current UT policy on tobacco only addresses smoking tobacco, which is not allowed in any University-owned or leased building or vehicle, but is allowed on campus as long as it is 20 feet away from a building entrance. UT-Arlington, UT-Brownsville and the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio are currently tobacco-free. Austin Community College, Huston-Tillotson University and Texas State University all banned tobacco use on campus last year.

In March 2011, UT President William Powers, Jr. said he opposed a campus-wide ban on smoking during an address to Staff Council. Powers said such a ban would overstep the limits a University should impose on its community.

“What we’re doing is saying we are going to limit the freedom of the person who wants to smoke for the benefit of the people who don’t want to be in a smoke-filled office or room,” Powers said in the address, according to a March 2011 Daily Texan article.

Student Government passed a resolution in 2011 declaring UT to become generally smoke-free campus over a period of seven years. The resolution called for the creation of a taskforce to decide policy implementation and an expansion of the University Health Services student smoking cessation program “Quitters” to extend to faculty and staff. SG and the Student Organization Safety Board recently co-sponsored “Tobacco Talks,” a series of conversations with professionals and students on campus to discuss the negative effects of tobacco.

Philip Huang, medical director for the Austin-Travis County health and human services department, spoke at Tobacco Talks on Thursday and said many entities around Austin have implemented tobacco-free policies, including City of Austin libraries, Capital Metro and Austin Parks and Recreation centers. Huang said 70 percent of people surveyed by Travis County said they wanted to quit smoking and 60 percent of all litter in 32 Austin parks comes from tobacco, equaling to approximately 23,000 cigarette butts.

Huang said a tobacco-free policy is a step in the right direction for UT and that in four years incoming students will know no other policy.

“A lot of it is changing social norms,” Huang said. “A lot of people put up with other peoples’ smoke but they hate it. People have more of a right to breathe clean air than smokers have the right to smoke.”

Alfred McAlister, public health adjunct associate professor, said the Institute’s decision will encourage administrators to consider a new tobacco policy. McAlister advised the UT Texas Public Health student organization in conducting a recent survey to gauge student opinion of smoking on campus.

Of the 1,551 respondents, 77 percent indicated they want a stronger tobacco policy at UT. Among the people who identified as smokers and took the survey, approximately 33 percent said they wanted stricter limits on tobacco use.

“I imagine the survey results will convince President Powers that there is a lot more support for a new tobacco policy than he might have supposed,” McAlister said. “It’s been a bit embarrassing for this University to be one of the last schools that’s not tobacco free.”

McAlister said some of the benefits of a tobacco-free campus would include less exposure to second-hand smoke and less tobacco litter. He said a ban would also help encourage smokers to quit and prevent some students from starting to smoke.

Thomas Haviland, public health senior and president of the UT Texas Public Health Organization, said there is a definite possibility UT will implement a tobacco-free policy on campus. Haviland said he has seen people violating the current policy all over campus and smoking within 20 feet of buildings, some of which contain ashtrays five feet away from their entrance.

Haviland said even though the Institute’s decision plays a huge part in the administration’s actions, the issue has been building up and needed to be addressed.

“They had to do something,” Haviland said. “On top of student desire, health benefits and financial savings, a lot of people on campus really do want it.”

Students hoping to go home for the holidays will have to wait until Thursday for classes to officially be dismissed, according to the UT-Austin academic calendar.

The federal calendar designates the last Thursday of November as the official Thanksgiving holiday, and the state of Texas provides the Friday following Thanksgiving as an optional holiday available to businesses and institutions. University director of human resource services Adrienne Howarth-Moore said state officials have designated a number of dates as optional holidays, which educational institutions can disperse throughout the academic calendar at the discretion of administration.

Howarth-Moore said this year, as well as previous years, UT officials have not chosen to designate the day before Thanksgiving as an optional holiday.

“They give us the option to move some of those holidays to best fit the needs of the students,” Howarth-Moore said. “Every year the number of those are different, but the ones not used we move to winter break so the students can be off campus as long as possible.”

Some students, such as actuary science junior Laken Edwards, do not feel UT officials were acting in the best interest of students by scheduling Thanksgiving break from Nov. 24 to 27. Edwards said she has flown home to Chicago to be with her family each year since she enrolled at UT and is aggravated annually by transportation prices. Edwards said plane ticket prices skyrocket around Thanksgiving, and she doesn’t get nearly enough time with her family for the amount she pays.

“It is an important holiday, and I couldn’t imagine not spending it with my family,” Edwards said. “Usually I can find flights to Chicago for around $200, but we booked this flight in September and even then it was $400.”

Edwards said she is missing Tuesday and Wednesday classes in order to fly home prior to the holiday and feels it would be more appropriate for the University to allow students to take the entire week off.

“Even having Wednesday off isn’t enough,” Edwards said. “There are other great schools that have the whole week off, and if we really need the extra attendance days I would rather begin school earlier in the year.”

Students and faculty at Sul Ross State University in Alpine were released for Thanksgiving break following classes Friday. Stephen Lang, director of news and publications at Sul Ross, said he does not know of any other public universities in Texas providing the same privilege.

Lang said Alpine is approximately three and one-half hours from the nearest airport, and having a weeklong break eases stress over travel time.

“It’s a nice perk for students and the faculty members that are gone, too,” Lang said. “It’s nice for traveling and preparing for family coming into town. Of the four universities I’ve worked at, this is the first place where we’ve had the extra time.” 

Printed on Monday, November 22, 2011 as: Thanksgiving break left to administration's discretion