UT System Board

In this podcast, Jacob Kerr, Amanda Voeller and guest Nick Castillo discuss the UT System Board of Regents naming Naval Adm. William McRaven the sole finalist to replace Francisco Cigarroa as chancellor. They also talk about media reports on Texas football coach Charlie Strong removing multiple players off the football team for violating his list of core values and Abigail Fisher's request for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals to hear her case against the University's admissions policy en banc.

University releases confidential records to Regent Wallace Hall

After several months of dispute, the University agreed this week to release confidential records from October 2012 to February 2013 to UT System Board of Regents member Wallace Hall Jr.

Hall, who had already been granted access to roughly 40 boxes of materials, requested the files earlier this year as part of a larger conflict between the University and the board. Hall was also one of the four regents who voted for an external review of the relationship between the UT School of Law and the Law School Foundation because he alleged there were documents that were not made available for the original investigation conducted by System council Barry Burgdorf.

Kevin Hegarty, the University’s vice president and chief financial officer, is in charge of open records requests. According to the Austin-American Statesman, Hegarty initially was hesitant to give access to confidential records to Hall – but system lawyers advised that with the exception of Social Security numbers, personal health information and information about students, Hall is entitled to see the information. System spokeswoman Jenny LaCoste-Caputo said the files were expected to arrive this morning.

In April, The Texas Tribune obtained documents revealing Hall had failed to disclose his involvement in at least six state and federal lawsuits on his original application for the regent position.