School of Undergraduate Studies

Photo Credit: Griffin Smith | Daily Texan Staff

Clay Johnston, dean of the Dell Medical School, emphasized in a lecture Monday the importance of not accepting the status quo when looking for new solutions in the health care system.

Johnston was hired as the inaugural dean of the Dell Medical School in January. Currently under construction, the school is scheduled to open in fall 2016.

Johnston said medical schools have become multibillion dollar enterprises that see any new business models as threats to their structure.

“They get stuck,” Johnston said. “And promoting health isn’t the priority — but helping the sick.” 

During the lecture in Burdine Hall for a freshmen signature course speaker series, Johnston said, as a researcher focusing on stroke prevention, he was frustrated with the process of executing research studies. He felt the procedure took too long and did not effectively reach
the patients.

“There were few people saying, ‘How do we make research faster? How can we reorganize the structure in order to accelerate studies to reach patients? [It’s] horribly inefficient and everyone is suffering from this,’” Johnston said.

His criticism of the standard method for conducting research studies influenced his concern with other areas in the medical field.

“A new issue comes up,” Johnston said. “Not only is it inefficient, but, with new innovation, it increases the cost of health care. … People are not benefitting from the new technology. The cost of banking and telecommunication has gone way down, so it’s changed the way we live our life, but that’s not true in health. Drugs are not getting cheaper with technology. It’s actually gotten more and more expensive.”

Johnston identified several issues he saw within the health care system and urged students to think critically about those issues, including the requirement to visit the doctor’s office when patients have the flu or that hospital gowns exposing a patient’s rear are still used.

Johnston also evaluated the gap insurance companies create between patients and the value of their care, as well as the “lone cowboy” physician who underplays team and community efforts.

“Just accepting that they should be that way means we’re not looking for solutions,” Johnston said. “It’s not something to be sad about, but it’s an
opportunity for things to be addressed and solutions to be proposed.”

John Daigre, Dell Medical School spokesman, said the presentation was aimed to help students envision themselves in the school and see their work in the medical field go beyond UT.

“It’s about understanding that … creating a medical school of the future … includes a lot of things that people may not recognize,” Daigre said. “It’s all about new models of care — using data and technologies [in a] new way.”

Brent Iverson, chemistry professor and former chairman of the department of chemistry and biochemistry, currently serves as the Dean of the School of Undergraduate Studies. 

Photo Credit: Jonathan Garza | Daily Texan Staff

The University is set to name Brent Iverson as the new dean of the School of Undergraduate Studies later this week. Iverson currently serves as a chemistry professor and chairman of the department of chemistry and biochemistry.

UT President William Powers Jr. selected Iverson after a search committee interviewed five finalists from across the country, all of whom met with students and faculty on campus in the last few months to present their goals for the position. The committee recommended three candidates to Powers in April.

“As someone who was part of the initial conception of the School of Undergraduate Studies, Brent Iverson is the perfect person to build on the successes of the school, creating pathways for leadership and excellence in undergraduate studies,” Powers said in a statement. “He is a recognized teacher, researcher and scholar, with a proven commitment to providing our undergraduates with the best academic experience possible.”

The appointment will be effective July 1. At a public forum in April, Iverson said the School of Undergraduate Studies must focus on helping students find and explore their passions. 

“Higher education changes and it’s going to continue to change,” Iverson said to The Daily Texan in a separate interview in March. “I fundamentally believe that UGS is going to be the beacon of change on this campus. It’s going to enhance what goes on around it. So I hope the right person gets it, even if that is not me.”

The School of Undergraduate Studies emerged in 2006 to serve as a "home and champion of the core curriculum," as dubbed by the Task Force on Curricular Reform — a task force which Powers chaired and Iverson sat on in 2005. Iverson will take over for Larry Abraham, who has been serving as interim dean since Paul Woodruff, classics and philosophy professor, stepped down last year. 

As dean, Iverson will oversee the core curriculum, advising services, undergraduate research, interdisciplinary programs and first-year programs within the school. According to the search committee criteria, the dean reports to the Provost and through a visionary strategic planning for the school, coordinates with administrators, deans and department chairs to improve undergraduate education and fundraise for new initiatives. 

Iverson has been at UT since 1990 and is a member of the University's Academy of Distinguished Teachers — a collection of the top 5 percent of tenured professors on campus — and a member of the inaugural class of the UT System Academy of Distinguished Teachers. He was originally scheduled to teach organic chemistry in the fall, but his classes have been reassigned to other professors in the department, according to the most recent course schedule.

Steven Brint, vice provost of undergraduate education at UC-Riverside, spoke to UGS students about why he’s the best candidate for the new dean position at the Main Building on Monday
afternoon.

Photo Credit: Sam Ortega | Daily Texan Staff

Steven Brint, current vice provost for the University of California at Riverside, interviewed with students from the Undergraduate Studies Council on Monday as one of five finalists for the position of dean of the school.

The school has been without a permanent dean since the summer of last year, when former dean Paul Woodruff resigned. Lawrence Abraham is currently serving as interim dean while the school searches for a replacement. Brint is the fourth candidate to interview for the position.

Brint spoke with UT Austin faculty early Monday, and is slated to talk with UGS staff on Tuesday. At his meeting with students, who will work with faculty and staff to present their recommendation for dean to President William Powers Jr., Brint said he wants the School of Undergraduate Studies to be an efficient part of the University that helps students find their academic passion.

“I have had some of the most inspiring students I have worked withstart off in a field that was not meant for them,” Brint said. “There’s something out there at which they can do wonderful things, and it’s the job of our school to help them discover that.”

Brint, who has published multiple books on the field of higher education, said when he thought of Undergraduate Studies, he thought of a student he worked with as associate dean of UC Riverside’s College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, who did poorly in science but has a blossoming career in another field.

“If we feel too driven to get to an endpoint and reach a destination, it’s not the best use of college years for everybody,” Brint said. “We have to valuepeople who want to explore and want to find out what’s best for them.”

When asked how he planned to improve the school’s ability to do this, Brint said he would have to actually be dean for a while to answer that properly, but he thought his experience as vice provost could help.

“The first part of the dean is to find out what’s happening now,” Brint said. “I think it would be irresponsible to come in and say I’m going to do X, Y and Z.”

Stephanie Reyna, current president of the Undergraduate Studies Council, said she did not want to give her thoughts on Brint, because she did not want to accidentally give an advantage to their last interviewee. However, she said all five candidates are very qualified.

Junior Natalie Arevalo, who was the president of the Undergraduate Studies Council last year and who sat on the committee that helped select finalists, said students look for candidates who have past experience and a vision for the School of Undergraduate Studies.

“I think that most of them understand the plight of UGS students,” Arevalo said. “It’s not always easy [for students] to come into a college as large as this and not know what they’re going into.”

Printed on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 as: UGS interviews dean hopeful 

UGS Dean candidate Selmer Bringsjord meets with a group of students Tuesday afternoon in the Main Building. The student panel was able to give Bringsjord insight to the innerworkings of the UGS program. 

Photo Credit: Becca Gamache | Daily Texan Staff

The search for a new dean of the School of Undergraduate Studies continued Tuesday with a visit from Selmer Bringsjord, one of the five candidates under consideration for the position. Bringsjord met with students to share ideas for improvements to the school in a round-table discussion hosted by the school’s Search Committee.

Bringsjord, the chair of the Department of Cognitive Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, said he would like the School of Undergraduate Studies to provide more funding for general research in science and other disciplines like creative writing.

Bringsjord said he thinks the signature courses are high quality, but professors should inform students of the principles behind the courses.

“The ability to communicate extemporaneously in person directly with other human beings without notes, without technology, is something that every single student here is going to need to have starting right away with that first interview,” Bringsjord said.

Bringsjord said Magellan’s Circles, discussions between undergraduate studies students and professionals about major and career options, are inexpensive, and he sees room for growth in the program.

“That’s the kind of thing that still has a lot of impact in my life as a lifelong learner,” Bringsjord said. “The opportunity to meet with someone who’s spectacularly successful in their domain and their field in an informal setting … to meet with people in that environment is just a great way to augment one’s education … I still love doing that.” 

Undergraduate studies students feel pressure to choose a major when they’re surrounded by people whose majors are decided, according to undeclared sophomore Stephanie Reyna.

“A lot of parents assume that you’re wasting time being undeclared and not choosing something right away,” English junior Natalie Arevalo said. “I don’t think that they realize that if you did choose something, you’re most likely going to change.”

Electrical engineering junior Kartik Subramanian said being in undergraduate studies has given him the time to figure out what really interests him, and he is now a mentor for First-year Interest Groups in order to help students become aware and take advantage of the resources the school offers.

“I like the general way the undeclared student is being handled, and that’s part of UGS’s misson, but what I don’t see is the part of the mission that pertains to programs that by definition cut across schools and departments,” Bringsjord said.

The School of Undergraduate Studies is searching for a new dean, and candidates are in the process of visiting campus.

Five candidates will visit to share presentations and speak with students and faculty. The finalists were selected by the school’s search committee, which includes UT faculty, staff and students who will help advise University President William Powers Jr.

Michael Morton, Senate of College Councils president and member of the search committee, said the visits will help determine the best option to fill the position.

“It is very important for the dean candidates to come to campus and see how everything operates,” Morton said. “It’s even more important for them to listen to students and get a firm grasp on the issues affecting them, because these are the issues they’ll be tasked to solve and address.” 

The candidates include Bernard Mair, the provost of undergraduate affairs and mathematics professor at the University of Florida, who visited campus Thursday.

Selmer Bringsjord, chairman of the Department of Cognitive Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, will visit Tuesday.

Paul Diehl, a political science and law professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will visit Thursday and Friday.

Steven Brint, the vice provost for undergraduate education and a sociology professor at the University of California at Riverside, will visit April 1 and 2. 

Brent Iverson, UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry chairman and professor, will give presentations April 4 and 5.

Five candidates for School of Undergraduate Studies dean visit UT

The School of Undergraduate Studies is undergoing a search for a new dean, and candidates are in the process of visting the campus.

Five candidates will visit the campus to share presentations and speak with student and faculty. The finalist were selected by the school’s search committee, which includes UT faculty, staff and students who will help advise University president William Powers Jr.

“It is very important for the dean candidates to come to campus and see how everything operates,” Morton said. “It’s even more important for them to listen to students and get a firm grasp on the issues affecting them because these are the issues they’ll be tasked to solve and address.” 

The candidates include Bernard Mair, the provost of Undergraduate Affairs and mathematics professor at the University of Florida, who visited campus Thursday.

Selmer Bringsjordis, chairmen of the Department of Cognitive Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, will visit Tuesday.

Paul Diehl, a political science and law professor at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will visit Thursday and Friday.

Steven Brint, the vice provost for Undergraduate education and sociology professor at the University of California Riverside, will visit April 1 and 2. 

Brent Iverson, UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry chairmen and professor, will give presentations on April 4 and 5.

The School of Undergraduate Studies will invite UT freshmen to participate in the first in a series of surveys Wednesday meant to identify freshmen struggling with the transition from high school to college.

The surveys, called MAP-Works, are part of a third-party program to improve retention rates by identifying at-risk students, said Patricia Micks, undergraduate studies first-year experience coordinator. Once the program identifies at-risk students, Micks said it will notify the students’ advisors and support staff. The School of Undergraduate Studies, the department funding the survey, estimates it will pay $88,000 based on the freshman class size of 8,100 — the largest yet at UT. Some survey questions are about academics, but others ask about roommates, activities and family issues, Micks said.

“We want to work with the students early on to be sure they feel like the UT community is another home for them,” Micks said. “It’s meant to be an early intervention to help students before they’re in trouble.”

Micks said 98 percent of UT freshmen return after fall semester and 91 percent after spring. She said this rate was good, but if MAP-Works can improve the retention rate by even 1 percent, many students would be affected at a school this size. She said in its six years of use by other universities, the program has improved retention rates by 1 to 10 percent.

“What MAP-Works tries to do is what we already do, and that’s connect students with resources,” Micks said.

Micks said she has been enlisting resident assistants, Freshman Interest Group mentors, undergraduate studies professors and academic advisors to encourage their cohorts to use the optional surveys as tools.

The school pays for every enrolled freshman regardless of participation.

Freshmen Interest Group mentor Ginu Scaria said she plans to point her students toward the survey.

“It’s a good way to connect with students and see how they are doing,” Scaria said. “If there’s a problem you can’t deal with, you are able to send information to someone who can help them in a better way.”

As a PEER mentor, Scaria will not have access to much personal information but can submit reports to advisors and track her students’ survey completion. Scaria said MAP-Works might be more helpful to students who are not in close contact with their mentor.

Heather O’Leary, a principal analyst for Eduventures, a higher education consulting firm, said universities care about identifying struggling students early because administrators have made an investment and want to ensure student success. O’Leary said personal responsibility is important, but struggling students may not be aware of all of the resources available to them.

She said the program would be a good way to make the most of investments UT has already made in student support and to potentially identify gaps in resources.

“I would actually be really interested to see in three or five years down the line the kind of impact this program has on the students and the retention rate overall,” O’Leary said.

Printed on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 as: Surveys aid freshmen in college transition

Photo Credit: Natasha Smith | Daily Texan Staff

After admitting the largest freshman class in UT’s history, 8,092 students, the University’s administration is saying they expect to enroll almost 1,000 fewer students next year.

This year’s freshman class has put a strain on both the University’s resources and Austin’s housing availability, an issue the University took action on and addressed multiple times during the summer. UT, which accepts students with the assumption that a certain number of students will decline admission offers, had a 2.2 percent increase in the number of students who accepted its admission offer. UT has a total enrollment this year of 52,213, the second largest in UT’s history. UT released its preliminary enrollment numbers Wednesday afternoon.

UT spokesperson Tara Doolittle said the University plans to change the formula it uses to decide how many students to accept. She said implementing some of these changes will be a year-long process, so the University cannot guarantee next year’s incoming class will be smaller. But Doolittle said the admissions formula is changed every year to account for various factors including the economy. She said some of the changes to the admissions process will be implemented immediately. Doolittle said a larger than normal freshman class is not desirable.

"This is not our goal or intent to admit a class this large,” Doolittle said. “It is our hope that our class will not be as large next year. Unchecked growth is not profitable. It is a strain on many of our resources.”

Kedra Ishop, vice provost and director of admissions, said the University expects to enroll 7,200 students next year. She said the percentage of students accepting admission offers has decreased since 2004. Because of this, the University made additional recruitment efforts last year, which contributed to a much larger than expected number of students accepting admission.

“It is good news to see that those efforts are paying off,” Ishop said in an email. “We are excited to see that increase because it indicates that more students are recognizing the value of a UT-Austin education.”

The School of Undergraduate Studies and the College of Natural Sciences are the two entities at UT affected the most by this freshman class. They both increased their number of available spots, or seats, for students this fall.

Larry Abraham, interim dean of the School of Undergraduate Studies, said there are 7,500 students enrolled in Undergraduate Studies signature courses this fall. Every UT undergraduate student is required to take a signature course at some point in their college education, and UT recommends students take it their first year. The School of Undergraduate Studies added an additional 1,300 UGS seats for this fall and upcoming spring and summer semesters.

Abraham also said the School of Undergraduate Studies is providing academic advising and major exploration support to students in the School of Undergraduate Studies who will have to transfer to another college.

Sacha Kopp, associate dean of the College of Natural Sciences, said the college is experiencing its biggest freshman class, more than 2,000 freshmen.

Kopp said students have not faced more difficulties than usual when it comes to registering for the classes they need.

“Our next project is to really worry about spring semester,” Kopp said. “For a lot of our majors, students move from taking a lot of lecture classes into taking a lot of labs. So we need to figure out what our enrollment numbers will be in the spring.”

The College of Liberal Arts added almost 5,000 seats across the college this semester, said Richard Flores, senior associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Liberal Arts. Although the college did not see an excessive increase in enrollment, the College of Liberal Arts offers numerous core classes to students across the entire campus.

Flores said the College of Liberal Arts is looking at what classes they will need to increase seats in next year.

Printed on Thursday, September 20, 2012 as: Large freshman class causes problems

Clarification: The formula for admissions is changed every year to account for various factors including the economy. The University will immediately implement some changes to the admissions forumla. The story initially did not make this clear and implied no changes would be made for the admissions forumla to be used for the next class.

Dr. Lori Holleran Steiker, Associate Professor for the School of Social Work, discusses her research at the University Lecture Series in the Bass Concert Hall Monday evening. The University Lecture Series brings in faculty members to speak about research and relevant issues to first-year students.

Although events that unite the freshman class are rare other than back-to-school events and Saturday night football games, the School of Undergraduate Studies hosted the first in a two-part lecture series aimed at sparking a shared dialogue among new students Monday.

Monday night’s lecture, “Research that Changes the World,” focused on introducing freshmen to the wide variety of research opportunities available on campus. The event featured Lori Holleran Steiker, associate professor of social work; Zachary Elkins, associate professor of government; and Juan Dominguez, assistant professor of psychology. Paul Woodruff, philosophy and classics professor and the School of Undergraduate Studies’ first dean, served as moderator. Woodruff stepped down from his post as dean in August to return to the classroom.

Woodruff said the event was planned with assistance from the Senate of College Councils and was the result of the same discussions that spurred the creation of Signature Courses, introductory courses that all freshmen are required to take.

“The alumni had suggested that we have the same course for all freshmen and we talked about that quite a lot, and realized we couldn’t do it,” Woodruff said. “But most of the signature-course students will either attend one of these events or listen to them online.”

Between six and seven thousand students are expected to listen to the lectures in one of their available formats, Woodruff said. For the majority of students in signature classes, attending at least one of the lectures is mandatory.

Many students said they appreciated the chance to get introduced to UT’s research programs.

“I really know nothing about research, which I know is a huge deal at UT,” said Taylor Chapman, a public relations senior who transferred to UT as a sophomore. “I honestly probably wouldn’t have come to the lecture on my own, but I’m glad I’m here.”

For some students, the program addressed a specific interest.

“I’m really interested in undergraduate research,” undeclared pre-pharmacy freshman Amy Le said. “I’d been planning to contact a professor in the pharmacy school, and after tonight, I actually know how.”

Others got a general sense of research opportunities, even if their specific fields were not addressed. Business freshman Sela Flowers said she wished the program had featured representatives from each college.

“I would have been interested to know what business research opportunities are available,” Flowers said. “But I still got something out of tonight, because now I know the research opportunities are out there.”

The second part of the University Lecture Series, “Election 2012: History, Rhetoric, Politics,” will be held from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday night in Bass Concert Hall. The lecture is open and free to anyone.

Printed on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 as: Freshman lecture series inspires

(Daily Texan file photo)

Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez | Daily Texan Staff

Brace yourselves — the freshmen are coming.

University officials have spent the summer months preparing for what might be its largest incoming freshman class on record and what could be the second largest overall enrollment in UT history. By adding more sections, lecturers, advisors and First-Year Interest Group programs, or programs that place freshmen into small groups to support their academic performance, University officials said they are confident that the school is ready for the freshmen class.

Kedra Ishop, vice provost and director of admissions, said estimates for the incoming freshman class are currently around 8,000 students. This is an approximate 900-student increase from last year’s 7,149 students. Currently, the year 2002 holds the title for most first-time enrolled freshmen with 7,935 students enrolled as first-time freshmen and 8,419 students classified as freshmen. The University will not know if it broke its past records until the twelfth class day, when enrollment is officially counted.

“It’s too close to call,” Ishop said in an email, speculating whether this entering freshman class would be the University’s largest. “Our largest prior class was just over 7,900. So it could be.”

Although the University says it is ready for this incoming freshman class, the increased enrollment will place a strain on the University for years to come. Professor William Cunningham, who was president of the University from 1985 to 1992, faced similar issues because of enrollment growth in 1988 when enrollment reached an all-time high. Cunningham compared the problem to a bubble.

“If you have a problem in freshman courses this year, then next year you will have a problem in sophomore courses,” Cunningham said. “So you will have to put some more resources into sophomore courses, but UT officials know that. It’s not rocket science.”

David Laude, senior vice provost for enrollment and graduation management, said the University will have to add sections and redirect resources for years to come. This means for returning students and for all students going forward, officials will continue to add sections and lecturers to various colleges and schools as this freshman class moves through the University.

“The reason you don’t make decisions right now about where to put them is because students generally tend to migrate in lots of general directions,” Laude said.

Laude said he has been involved in conversations with the deans across all of the schools, particularly in the professional schools like business, engineering and communication, about the possibility of expanding.

“As that happens and as they take on those additional students, it will be required that we take the money we have available associated with the increased enrollment and create additional sections in the majors they end up populating,” Laude said.

Among the incoming freshmen, certain colleges and schools have been more heavily impacted. Marc Musick, associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said he noticed the largest increases in the School of Undergraduate Studies, the College of Natural Sciences and the College of Fine Arts.

“I handled orientation for the University, so I can see the numbers we’re experiencing across all the colleges,” Musick said. He was appointed to oversee New Student Services and the large changes made in the orientation program by UT President William Powers Jr. in April.

The School of Undergraduate Studies faces more than a 50 percent increase in enrollment — from 900 students last year to approximately 1,400 this year. Initial numbers in the beginning of the summer indicated 1,574 students were planning on attending UGS in the fall, but since then almost 200 students have decided to not attend.

Incoming UGS interim dean Larry Abraham said when the school first heard about the number of incoming students, their initial concern was actually not about the number of classes offered but whether the school had enough advisors. Assistant UGS dean David Spight said the school has hired three new advisors, who will start the second week of August, a few weeks before students arrive.

Abraham said the school was also concerned about whether there would be enough seats in classes.

“There was a panic mode where students were saying there won’t be enough seats. We’ve never had this many students try to take freshman courses, whether they are signature courses or introduction to biology or whatever,” Abraham said. “The University has responded to that.”

In order to respond to both its increased enrollment and the entire school’s increased enrollment, UGS has added more than a total of 1,300 seats in signature courses to the 2012-2013 school year, bringing the total to 11,300. Signature courses, introduced in 2008, are each assigned a unique topic and aim to introduce the student to the University and its resources. The 1,300 additional seats includes the fall, spring and summer semesters. Patricia Micks, UGS senior program coordinator, said about 8,000 of those seats are the fall semester, when UGS hopes a majority of freshmen will take their signature course.

Micks said UGS did a combination of adding new signature courses and increasing the class size of some already-existing signature courses.

“We were very careful. If we’re going to bump any class sizes, we were sure to strategically select professors who really shine in these large classes,” Micks said.

UGS also increased the number of academic FIGs offered within the school from 15 to 24.

In order to pay for this, Abraham said the provost’s office gave UGS approximately $300,000.

Thanks to the funding provided by the Provost’s office, Abraham said UGS has dealt with advising and seating concerns. Spight said the school is now focusing to ensure students can make a smooth transition to their desired school after UGS.

“Our job is to help them find all the options and set them up for success, but in the end the student has to be successful in their courses and the programs have to be willing to say they will take those students,” Spight said. “That concern is going to be a little bit bigger for us this year simply because there are more students that we are worrying about.”

Spight said there has been increased collaboration between UGS and other colleges. For example, of the nine additional FIGs added to UGS, Spight said a few Natural-Sciences-oriented FIGS were added because a large number of students in UGS had selected the College of Natural Sciences as their first choice.

“We tried to make sure the FIGs that we added addressed those areas of interests,” Spight said. “The courses that were associated with those FIGs, whether it be the signature course topics or the other courses in the FIG clusters, we made sure they were along those lines in the sciences.”

In the College of Natural Sciences, freshman enrollment is expected to rise by about 15 percent. Last year, the college had about 1,835 students enroll, and this year it is expecting 2,152 students. Sacha Kopp, associate professor and natural sciences assistant dean, said the college has seen an increase in freshman enrollment in the past three years and this will be the largest class the college has ever seen.

The College of Natural Sciences has added sections and additional seats to prepare for this class, but Kopp said he could not say how many sections and seats were added since the college is still watching the enrollment numbers and is adjusting accordingly. Kopp said the college is not adding these classes just for students in that college.

And in the College of Fine Arts, which houses many of the courses required to fulfill the visual and performing arts undergraduate degree requirements, enrollment is expected to increase by 400 students, or 20 percent. The college has responded by adding several hundred seats to these courses to accommodate non-majors, said Andrew Dell-Antonio, College of Fine Arts associate dean.

Officials from other colleges are on board to prepare the University for this large incoming freshman class, even if their college is not seeing an enrollment increase. For example, Musick said COLA was adding additional sections.

“We serve students in other colleges as well,” Musick said. “Even though it’s not technically liberal arts students, they are UT students and they do need our classes.”

Senior associate dean for academic affairs Richard Flores said the University added 16 new sections in the College of Liberal Arts. The college is in the process of hiring a combination of nine additional lecturers and assistant instructors. The provost’s office provided the College of Liberal Arts with $306,000 in funding for this increase.

The first day of class is Aug. 29. The official enrollment count will be conducted Sept. 14.

Updated 11:24 a.m.: 1,300 seats, not 13,000 seats, were added to the number of signature courses.