University Police

The Texas A&M University Police are still evaluating leads on an alleged bomb threat at the A&M Evans Library, although they believe the threat was a hoax, said A&M Police Sgt. Allan Baron.

The University Police issued a “Code Maroon” this morning after they received word from an electronic source at Evans regarding a bomb in the building. University Police evacuated the Evans Library, Evans Library Annex, Cushing Library and the Student Computing Center following the alert. Baron said the situation remained calm and under control, and students and faculty steered clear of the area until officials secured it.

Baron said Texas A&M has had three bomb threats since 2006, all which turned out to be false alarms. He said every police response to a threat depends on the environment, resources at hand and what sort of things are in the building.

“There’s always something that can be learned,” Baron said. “In days to come, we’ll have an after-action review to discuss it and see if there’s things we needed to improve on.”

A&M biological sciences junior Andrea Zamora said she was waiting to get coffee in Evans when an officer told her to evacuate the building. Zamora said the officer did not tell her why they were evacuating. She said many students were angry because they had to leave while they were studying.

“I received a text through ‘Code Maroon,’ and I was shocked because I could have been in serious danger but more so that the officer did not know to tell us,” Zamora said.

She said that although the University Police acted very calmly about the evacuation, she wished they would have known more at the time so they could tell students why they had to leave Evans.

All evacuated facilities reopened after 5 p.m., according to A&M police officials.

University Police arrested former UT women’s track equipment manager Thursday night in his Uvalde County home for 10 counts of improper photography.

Rene Zamora, 30, placed equipment in an office near the women’s locker room after a track meet on Sept. 3. Zamora, a full-time employee since 2006, entered the locker room to get the women’s uniforms. He told officers he heard someone in the shower, left the locker room and waited for nearly two minutes before returning with a digital camera.

Zamora was about to record the woman, when she saw a camera above the curtain and screamed. He apologized and ran out into the equipment room. He told police he did not have any footage, according to court records.

The former manager officially resigned on Sept. 10 and was barred from future employment at University, UT officials said.

UTPD acquired a search warrant on Sept. 8 to obtain Zamora’s computer and memory cards, where police found additional footage of two former and eight current track members, said Claire Dawson-Brown, the assistant Travis County district attorney.

A judge released Zamora from the Uvalde County Jail Thursday night on personal bond, Dawson-Brown said.