Pick of the Pics - June, 2011

Hi,

This is Mary Kang and Andrew Torrey, your  Summer 2011 Daily Texan photo editor and associate photo editor. Here's a little compilation of our favorite wild art, or photography shot around the University and the world, for the month of June.

Check back at the beginning of every month to see ten of the best pictures from past and current Daily Texan photographers.

Sincerely,

Mary Kang & Andrew Torrey

Peter Franklin | Daily Texan Staff

Teenagers illegally dive from the Steeplechase Pier, Coney Island while watching for police who may stop them. 

William Paul Wentzell | Daily Texan Staff

Jian Yang, a Plant Biology graduate student, makes a call on his cell phone outside Wanfu Too restaurant on Barton Springs Road.

Jeffrey McWhorter | Daily Texan Staff

Joey Gutierrez, 14, gets his haircut by Jeremy Lopez, 19, at Booker T. Washington Terraces in East Austin. Lopez, who graduated from nearby Austin Can Academy, hopes to get into cosmetology school to cut hair professionally.

Emily Kinsolving  | Daily Texan Staff

Goetz von Totenburg and Zach Most fight in a medieval style tournament at Patterson Park tennis courts in East Austin.  Von Totenburg and Most  are members of the Society for Creative Anachronism which meets weekly.  Opponents battle until the first hypothetically fatal blow ends the match. 

Jeff Heimsath | Daily Texan Staff

Tourists visiting Austin look through Blanton Museum of Art.

Daniela Trujillo | Daily Texan Staff

A passerby stands beside the East Village Mural on Rosewood Avenue in East Austin.  The mural depicts a group of shoeshiners working together in Austin.  

Danielle Villasana | Daily Texan Staff

Proudly carrying their catch of the day, three young boys follow their mother down the beach. Sayulitans use homemade fishing rods made from Coca-Cola bottles as an inexpensive and efficient way to catch fish right off the shoreline.

Allen Otto | Daily Texan Staff

Jose Gonzalez packs mounted deer heads at The Corner Shoppe for a sale later this week is Fort Worth.

Mary Kang | Daily Texan Staff

Charlotte Ribas, 6, and Helena Ribas, 4, feed the pigeons on Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge while their family was out to watch Austin Marathon and Half Marathon runners.

Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff

Samuel Olivo rides his mule, Mula, on Guadalupe Street. While it is legal to ride a horse or mule on public streets in Austin, Olivo was arrested for a DWI while riding Mula last month.