Texas finishes tied for seventh in New Orleans

In a strange turn of events, the No. 17 Longhorns plummeted down the leaderboard at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate in New Orleans, Louisiana on Monday.

Texas sat just four shots behind Miami after day one of the tournament, but an abysmal second and final round of action left the Longhorns searching for answers. The Longhorns dropped to seventh-place with a total team score of 25-over par.

Texas looked poised to make a run at the team title after day one, shooting a respectable three-over as a team. But 24 hours later, junior Sophia Schubert and her teammates ended the tournament 26-strokes behind the tournament’s champion, Stanford.

Schubert still exhibited her talent over two day stretch. She finished tied for seventh in the individual competition at one-under, only five shots off the pace set by Arizona’s Haley Moore.

Freshman Greta Voelker ended a mere four shots behind Schubert at three-over. She ended up in the top-20 individually in every tournament she’s played in thus far.

Teammates Julia Beck and Haley Mills didn’t experience similar fortunes as they finished a combined 39-over par. They’ll look to bring stronger games to Lubbock, Texas, when the Longhorns take on Texas Tech on March 5.