Students march from tower to downtown Austin

More than 300 students gathered in front of the UT Tower to protest last night’s election of Republican Donald Trump.

The protesters walked from the Main Mall, and other people joined the protest as it made its way to the S. First Street Bridge.  

Austin City Council member Greg Casar said today was an important day to begin resistance against a Trump presidency.

“Many leaders including Trump are calling for healing, and we cannot heal,” Casar said. “Instead we need to organize and support protesters like this and be in the streets, and as a city, I’m calling on us to be a part of that resistance and not comply with the unconstitutional mandates Trump may pass along to us that might hurt our immigrant families.”

Gabriela Muro, government and history freshman, said as an undocumented student she participated in the protest to show she was not scared.

“I am personally an undocumented Mexican-American, and it really terrified me to find out that the election swung in Trump’s favor, and it was very disappointing,” Muro said.  “But I came out here today to show them that I am undocumented and unafraid and I’m not just going to let them step over me."

Journalism freshman Juan Milan said he was in shock when he saw the results of the election.

“I think those of us who didn’t stay up until [2 a.m.] to view the results woke up in shock that somebody we brought up as a joke actually won the presidency,” Milan said. “So I think today’s reaction is a perfect reaction towards that shock and that outrage, and I’m glad my fellow Longhorns are out here with us against this.”

Biochemistry senior Dania Hussein, who is a Muslim, said she was hoping the election wouldn’t turn out the way it did.

“I don’t think that a man that condones xenophobia, sexism [and] homophobia should be in office, because he is not representative of much of the country or its people,” Hussein said. “A lot of my family were in tears because we are Muslim and so the hate he has already been spewing just when he was running turned a lot of the nation against us, and it’s scary to think what could happen in four years with him in office.”

Nick Hudson said he saw the protest on Facebook and headed over because he works nearby.

“I’m upset about the election," Hudson said. "I’m concerned about electing someone who has demonstrated a willingness to oppress Muslims, immigrants and the LGBT community, who there are allegations of sexual assaults against and who has bragged about sexual assaults."

This story has been updated since its initial publication.Will Clark and Van Nguyen contributed to this report.