Despite flash flood warning, University will continue on regular schedule

Radio-television-film graduate student Kira Matica walks across the Moody Skybridge on Monday afternoon.

University classes and activities continued on a normal schedule for the remainder of Monday evening and this morning despite a flash flood watch issued by the National Weather Service. 

According to the National Weather Service, the flash flood watch will remain in effect until 10 a.m. this morning. UT’s meteorologist Troy Kimmel will continue to monitor the situation. In a special briefing on his website, Kimmel said the Austin area can expect potentially 1 to 2 inches of rain in general with scattered rain and thunderstorms throughout the night. 

“It’s my feeling that if rainfall stays in this range, it should not create a whole lot of additional problems except perhaps in areas where we’ve seen rainfall in excess of 4 to 5 inches in the last few days,” Kimmel wrote. 

While the University’s regular schedule will continue for now, Bob Harkins, associate vice president for campus safety and security, asked the UT community to monitor situations in their specific areas of Austin. 

“You should not assume there is no weather risk where you are or that conditions on your route home haven’t changed just because the University isn’t closed,” Harkins said in an email to the University community Monday evening. “Mobile phone apps, along with local broadcast media, social media reports, and published road closures should help you assess any weather risks along your route, but only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to commute
to campus.”