Teenager shot to death by APD officer

A local teen was shot and killed Monday morning during a confrontation with an Austin Police Department officer.

According to police reports, the fatal shooting occurred Monday morning at about 10:30 a.m on the 12000 block of Natures Bend in Northeast Austin.

Brian Manley, Austin police chief of staff, confirmed the incident and identified the victim as David Joseph, and the officer as Geoffrey Freeman during a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

Manley said Freeman was originally responding to a disturbance call from the 300 block of East Yager Lane involving a man chasing others near an apartment complex. When Freeman found Joseph about 30 minutes later at another location, he began to fire shots after Joseph did not comply with the officer’s commands for him to stop.

Joseph did not have a gun or weapon when the incident occurred, according to police.

According to a press release, only some of the footage from the incident was captured on camera. There is also an audio recording of Freeman telling Joseph to stop repeatedly at the scene.

Manley said Freeman has been with the police department for more than 10 years. Investigations to determine if the shooting was in accordance with APD policies are currently underway. 

“Anytime we have an officer-involved shooting — this is a tragic event,” Manley said during the press conference. “No matter what the circumstances are behind that shooting, someone has lost a loved one.”