BREAKING: Statement from Major Applewhite

Major Applewhite, offensive coordinator for the football team, released the following statement:

"Several years ago, I made a regretful decision resulting in behavior that was totally inappropriate. It was a one-time occurrence and was a personal matter. Shortly after it occurred, I discussed the situation with DeLoss Dodds. I was upfront and took full responsibility for my actions. This is and was resolved four years ago with the University.

Through counsel I have worked with my wife and the incident is behind us. I am regretful for my mistake and humbled by this experience. I am deeply sorry for the embarrassment it has caused my friends, family, and the University. I appreciate all of them. I’ve learned and grown from this and look forward to my work at Texas."

Update: The following statement was released by DeLoss Dodds, men's head athletics director:

"Major Applewhite engaged in inappropriate, consensual behavior with an adult student one time during the 2009 Fiesta Bowl activities.  After learning of his behavior later that month, I took immediate action to review the situation. We promptly initiated an inquiry with assistance from the university’s Legal Affairs office and other units outside of Athletics.  Major admitted his inappropriate conduct and he was disciplined.  In determining appropriate discipline, we analyze the facts and circumstances surrounding the behavior and its relation to job responsibilities.  Major fully accepted his discipline, including counseling.  We have high standards for behavior and expect our staff and coaches to adhere to them in all aspects of their lives. I believe that the appropriate discipline was taken in this case."

Update: Statement from Gene Powell, chairman of the UT System Board of Regents:

"We are first and foremost concerned with the safety, health and well-being of our students on all fifteen UT campuses and wherever they travel under the auspices of our institutions. As a result, it was with great disappointment and sadness that we learned a short time ago about the reprimand given in February of 2009 to one of the assistant football coaches employed by UT Austin for inappropriate conduct during the football team's trip to the Fiesta Bowl in January 2009.

At our direction, the General Counsel to the Board has posted notice of a special called meeting of the Board on Sunday afternoon, February 3rd, so that the Board can be fully briefed on issues related to this matter in executive session.

We expect our coaches to adhere to the highest standards of conduct and lead by example. However, until such time as the Board can fully understand the background surrounding this event and its moral and legal implications, we will have no further public comment."