Connection made between those arrested for Texas State and Texas A&M University email bomb threats

A connection has been made between the man charged with making a false email bomb threat against Texas A&M University on Oct. 19 and the woman charged with making three false email bomb threats against Texas State University on Oct. 18 and 19.

The Texas A&M University Police Department has arrested Dereon Tayronne Kelly, 22, of Bryan in connection with a bomb threat that was emailed to Texas A&M’s Computing Information Services Department on Oct. 19, forcing the evacuation of the entire university. Allan Baron, Texas A&M police spokesperson, said Kelly is an acquaintance of Brittany Nicole Henderson, 19, who was arrested Oct. 23 by Bryan police for making one email bomb threat against Texas State on Oct. 18, that forced the evacuation of three campus buildings, and two email bomb threats the next day.

Texas A&M and Texas State police said no bombs were found in either case. The targeted area of Texas State, its admissions building, was searched on Oct. 18 and the entire Texas A&M campus was searched on Oct. 19. No bombs were found in either case.

UT received a false phone-in bomb threat that prompted the evacuation of our entire campus on Sept. 14.

Bob Harkins, associate vice president of Campus Safety and Security, said UT officials do not believe the threat is related to the bomb threats made against Texas A&M and Texas State.

According to a press release issued by Texas A&M police Monday, investigators with the Texas A&M Police Department, the FBI and several other law enforcement agencies were able to link Kelly to the threat through his cellular telephone, and Henderson remains a person of interest in that case.

Daniel Benitez, captain of operations for the Texas State University Police Department, said Henderson’s arrest came after Texas State police were able to link the threat to her email account.

Kelly was arrested at the Brazos County jail where he was being held for unrelated charges. He has been charged with making a terroristic threat, a third degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Henderson was charged with three charges of making a terroristic threat, a third degree felony, and three charges of making a false alarm, a misdemeanor.

Kelly and Henderson remain in the Brazos County Jail. Henderson is being held on $150,000 bond and Henderson on $300,000 bond.