UTPD investigating TAMU graffiti on campus

Vandals defaced prominent UT landmarks and many spaces on campus with Texas A&M-related graffiti this weekend. UT officials say they do not know who committed the crime but an investigation is ongoing. Photo Credit: Fanny Trang | Daily Texan Staff

To see more photos of the graffiti, view Daily Texan photo blog: Aggie-themed graffiti litters campus.

Even though UT and Texas A&M University are not meeting on the football field anytime soon, vandals sought to fan the flames of rivalry by defacing prominent UT landmarks with A&M graffiti tags this weekend.

UT spokesperson Cindy Posey said the areas around the UT tower, the Peter T. Flawn Academic Center, and the East and West Mall were some of the areas tagged. Although University officials don’t know exactly when it happened or who is responsible, they guess that it was between Friday night and Saturday morning. Posey said an investigation by the University of Texas Police Department is underway. Officials started cleaning the affected areas Saturday and expect the cleanup to be finished soon.

UT building attendant Christopher Goudreau said it will be a big job to clean up the graffiti because most of it was done with spray paint on concrete, but he thinks it is possible and there will be no need to replace any thing that was vandalized.

Prominent UT landmarks defaced include the wall perimeter of the UT tower, the windows of the of the Peter T. Flawn Academic Center, the statues of Jefferson Davis and Woodrow Wilson in front of the tower and the 1987 “The West” sculpture by Donald Lipski that is East of the tower.

The graffiti was done in red and includes the phrases “ATM,” “MUNGLOAF,” “Howdy,” “GIG ‘EM,” “FARMERS FIGHT,” “Whoop!,” “OLD ARMY Fight!,” “SEC!,” “GO AGGIES,” “CORPS,” and “MISS US YET?.”

Posey said she did not know what the consequences for the vandals involved would be.

Similar vandalism attacks have occurred at UT in the past. In Oct. 2011, vandals spray painted a bridge near the Winshop Drama Building and other campus monuments with sayings that include, "GiG em Aggies."  

The Texas A&M football team joined the Southeastern Conference this fall, and they are not set to play UT this season for the first time since 1914. A rivalry between the two schools has existed since 1894, when they first began playing each other.

Undeclared sophomore Emily Smith said she thought the graffiti was probably done to keep the rivalry between the two universities going, but she it wasn’t a good attempt at accomplishing that goal.

“They could have done a better job, a more impressive job,” she said. “It kind of looks like chicken scratch.”

Smith said although UT was defaced, she hopes members of the UT community will not retaliate against Texas A&M.

“I think we should keep the moral high ground,” she said.