Driver hits two pedestrians, police fire at vehicle

An Austin police officer shot at the vehicle of a 24-year-old woman Saturday morning after police say she sped down East Sixth Street hitting two pedestrians and refusing to obey a police order to stop her vehicle.

Craig Smith, Austin Police Department public information officer, said around 2:20 a.m. Saturday morning, a 24-year-old black female returned to her grey Pontiac parked on the 200 block of East Sixth Street. The street had been blocked off from traffic after the woman had parked there, and she began to drive very quickly, hitting two pedestrians in her way. The street was filled with a lot of pedestrians at that time.

Smith said an officer on-foot who the woman was driving towards ordered her to stop her vehicle, but she continued driving towards him.

“The officer feared for his own safety and that of others, and he fired several shots at her windshield,” Smith said.

Smith said the driver was not injured, and she was then apprehended and charged with at least one count of aggravated assault, a felony. She is currently in custody, and her name is expected to be released sometime this weekend.

The two pedestrians hit were taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge with non-life-threatening injuries.