Bomb threat scares Texas State University

UPDATE Oct. 18, 2012 at 1:15 p.m.: Texas State University spokesperson Jayme Blaschae said an all-clear alert was issued by Texas State police at 12:00 p.m. after APD’s bomb squad completed a sweep of the university’s admissions building. No suspect has been identified, and Texas State Police are working with the FBI to investigate the threat.

The admissions building will remain closed for the rest of the day.

San Marcos - Texas State University received a bomb threat through an e-mail to an admissions council that lives in Houston around 9:30 this morning, Texas State University Police said.

Texas State police said the threat was directed at their admissions building, and the building was was evacuated around 9:50 a.m. along with two dorm halls adjacent to the admissions building, San Jacinto Hall and Towers Hall. The Austin Police Department Bomb Squad and the San Marcos Police Department are assisting Texas State Police in investigating the situation and clearing the campus.

Texas State Police said, under direction from the APD bomb squad, an 800 foot perimeter has been cleared surrounding the admissions building.

Students at Texas State University received an e-mail and text alert from their university around 9:50 a.m., notifying them of the situation and evacuation of the three buildings. Classes are continuing as scheduled, Texas State police said.

Texas State police said the e-mail in which the bomb threat was made has not yet been released to the general public.

Update: 

Texas State University spokesperson Jayme Blaschae said an all-clear alert was issued by Texas State police at 12:00 p.m. after APD’s bomb squad completed a sweep of the university’s admissions building. No suspect has been identified, and Texas State Police are working with the FBI to investigate the threat. The admissions building will remain closed for the rest of the day.