UT students march through West Campus

More than 100 members of the UT community marched through the streets of West Campus Tuesday evening, chanting their concerns about recently reported incidents of bias in the area.

In a march titled “Walk to West Campus: Standing in Solidarity Against Racism & Hate,” members of the UT community addressed several reported incidents including several students of color being hit with bleach-filled water balloons, the use of racial slurs and insensitive ethnic-themed parties hosted by registered student organizations. The march was organized by former UT student Chas Moore, along with students from both UT and Huston-Tillotson University.

The march began at the Martin Luther King Jr. statue on the East Lawn and continued through UT’s campus and the West Campus area, stopping at the Barbara Jordan statue on campus and the 26 West apartment complex, where students have reported three incidents of bleach balloon attacks. At the stops, students who reported being victims of bleach balloon attacks spoke about their experiences. The march ended at Burdine Hall, where a panel was held Tuesday night on the upcoming Supreme Court case, Fisher v. University of Texas, where the constitutionality of UT’s use of affirmative action is being questioned.