Mass to be held in memory of accidental UT student death

Corrected at 4:54 p.m.: Because of a reporting error, an earlier version of this post misreported the time and location of the memorial service.

Corrected at 8:04 p.m.: Because of a reporting error, an earlier version of this post said Ali Mavrakis was with Holland at the time of the accident.

[Updated at 4:07 p.m.: added name of the deceased]

Friends of a UT student pronounced dead early Tuesday morning have organized a memorial mass in his honor at 5:00 p.m. today at the University Catholic Center.

Business sophomore Richard Holland, who friends say accidently fell from his fifth floor balcony at the Block apartments on 2222 Pearl St. An official police report has not been issued, but friends report he was taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge where he was later pronounced dead.

Finance junior Ali Mavrakis said he and Holland were close friends for 13 years. Mavrakis said he and other friends were with him at the hospital. Family and friends were with him at the hospital until he was pronounced dead, Mavrakis said.

“He always had a smile on his face and was able to make sure everyone around him did too,” said biology sophomore Jasmine Mann. “He was one of those people that would get so excited when he saw you like he hadn’t seen you in years. Unfortunately I didn’t get to hang out with him as much as I would have liked to in the past year, which I really regret.”