Alex Rogers wins mile at Alex Wilson Invitational

The Longhorns came away with a victory at the Alex Wilson Invitational on Saturday following a personal record set by Rogers in the mile run.

The sophomore distance runner won the event with a time of 4:02.54, which now ranks 11th in school history.

“Alex had a good day with a PR indoors,” distance coach Brad Herbster said. “He just missed cracking the all-time top 10 list at Texas and is running well heading into the Big 12 Championships next week.”

Texas sent a small distance crew to Notre Dame, Indiana, chasing fast times to qualify for nationals. Herbster elected to pull his distance medley relay team to rest them for the conference championships.

Coming off her record-breaking performance last weekend, senior Mary Beth Hamilton was unable to improve her time in the mile, but did take eighth place with a time of 4:44.15.

“The women’s mile was a great race that was set up really well, but unfortunately, Mary Beth was inside the group a bit too long,” Herbster said. “I think that just took its toll on her late when she tried to make her push.”

The Longhorns now focus on sustaining strong times heading into next week. The Big 12 Conference Indoor Championships begin on Feb. 24 in Ames, Iowa.

-Drew King