Texas basketball releases conference schedule

The Big 12 Conference schedule went live on Thursday afternoon, giving Texas fans plenty to be excited about in the upcoming season. Both the men’s and women’s schedules follow last season’s double round-robin structure, consisting of 18 games home and away appearances from each rival squad. 

The men open play at home against Kansas on Dec. 29. The Jayhawks finished last season with a 16–2 conference record and an appearance in the elite eight at the NCAA tournament. 

The women start the 2017-18 campaign on the road in Norman, Oklahoma, in a matchup against the Sooners on Dec. 28. The two teams each stole a win on the opposing home court last season; Texas lost by a single point.

Both Longhorn teams enter looking to build on last season’s performances. The men will receive a significant boost with the additions of five-star power forward Mohamed Bamba and four-star point guard Matt Coleman. The team failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament last season after posting a disappointing 11–22 record, including 14 conference losses to finish last in the Big 12 standings. The opening conference matchup against Kansas will measure how much progress the Longhorns have truly made. 

The women’s team saw an unceremonious exit at the hands of Stanford in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament. Offseason additions of the No. 1 forward in the nation, Rellah Boothe, and the No. 1 point guard, Chasity Patterson, ensure the team is reloaded and will be ready to climb again.

—Dalton Phillips