Mens tennis falls to Baylor 4-1

Fans flooded Caswell Tennis Center Wednesday. Another handful of burnt orange faithful watched from outside the fenced area, hoping to see their Longhorns take down No. 4 Baylor. 

But the Bears proved to be a handful, overpowering Texas for a 4-1 win.

The Longhorns’ season-long struggles in doubles play continued as Baylor won the first two matches 6-3, 6-2.

“We had a terrible start in doubles,” head coach Michael Center said. “That set the tone and really put us in a hole, so I was pretty disappointed.”

The Bears stayed on the attack in singles play. Baylor’s Max Tchoutakian extended the lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over freshman Christian Sigsgaard.

“Baylor always plays aggressive,” Center said. “We weren’t able to execute on some of the big points, so it just felt like we were fighting an uphill battle the whole night.”

Senior George Goldhoff brought some life to the Longhorns, besting Baylor’s Will Little 6-1, 7-5 to make it a 2-1 score.

The Bears responded, crushing all hopes of a comeback by winning the final two singles matches for a 4-1 win. The loss serves as a reminder to Texas that there’s room for improvement before entering postseason play in May.

“We didn’t play well enough to win,” Center said. “But we have a lot of tennis ahead of us. We just have to play a lot better overall if we’re going to beat some of the top teams like Baylor.”

The Longhorns face a quick turnaround as they play host to Texas Tech on Saturday at Caswell.

“Our guys are pretty disappointed with the loss, but we’ll be ready to play on Saturday,” Center said. “That’s for sure.”