Longhorns earn Big 12 honors

The Longhorns claimed four Big 12 Conference awards Wednesday after churning out a 15-3 conference record and 22-7 record overall in the 2016-17 regular season.

Brooke McCarty became the first player in program history to earn the Big 12 Player of the Year honor. The junior guard averaged a team-high 14.1 points per game this season while shooting 43.3 percent from beyond the arc. 

Senior guard Brianna Taylor captured the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award after leading the Longhorns on the defensive end this season. This is the second consecutive year a Longhorn has won the award as Imani Boyette won a share of it last season. 

Joyner Holmes snagged the Big 12 Freshman of the Year title after winning seven Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors this season and carrying the Longhorns in the post. The forward led all Big 12 freshman in scoring, rebounding and double-doubles. Holmes was a unanimous selection to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team.

Head coach Karen Aston joined her players with an honor of her own, claiming the Big 12 Coach of the Year award in her fifth season in Austin. 

Junior guard Ariel Atkins joined McCarty and Holmes on the All-Big 12 First Team, and joined Taylor on the Big 12 All-Defensive Team. Senior center Kelsey Lang received All-Big 12 Honorable Mention.

The Longhorns are looking to continue their success in the Big 12 Tournament this weekend in Oklahoma City.