Longhorns head into spring season sustaining two injuries

Texas will enter spring drills without two contributors from the 2016 season. Junior tight end Andrew Beck and sophomore punter Michael Dickson sustained injuries during off-season workouts and will be sidelined when spring drills begin.

Beck suffers from a broken left foot, and Dickson sustains a right hamstring injury.

Beck saw action at tight end last year, accumulating 82 yards on four catches. He additionally scored two touchdowns, including the final touchdown in Texas’ comeback to beat then-undefeated Baylor on Oct. 29. Beck led all tight ends in production in 2016, but the position may see a larger role in Tom Herman’s new offensive system.

“(Tight ends are) a critical role in our offense,” Herman said. “We are a pro-style offense. We run run-plays that are just like the NFL. I think there was one year at Ohio State where we played like 98 percent of our snaps with one back, one tight end and three wide receivers because that tight end was so versatile.”

Dickson starred as one of the top Longhorns in 2016. The Australian punter earned All-American honors and recognition as the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year. Dickson, averaging a program-record 47.4 yards per punt, stood as one of three finalists for the Ray Guy Award in December. However, Utah’s punter Mitch Wishnowsky, 47.7 yards per punt, was selected as the recipient.

There is no timetable for either player’s return.