Texas continues to get conference recognition

Texas earned recognition from the Big-12 conference on Monday once again, sweeping the weekly individual awards for a pair of strong performances against No. 8 Florida State and No. 16 Oklahoma. 

Junior Brooke McCarty and freshman Joyner Holmes are rapidly emerging as one of the top 1-2 punches in the nation, averaging a combined 33.5 points and 7.5 assists over the two-game stretch while leading Texas to a 14-1 conference record.   

McCarty was named the Big 12 Conference Player of the Week for the first time, notching a career-high 29 points on 68.6  percent from the floor in a double-overtime win on the road in Florida. The guard then turned around and poured in a team-high 16 points and collected 4 rebounds in the 1-point upset against Oklahoma on Saturday. 

Holmes meanwhile was named the Big 12 Freshman of the Week for a fifth consecutive week, and sixth time this season . The forward averaged a monstrous 11 point, 11 rebound double-double in the top-20 matchups, while posting a career high in minutes over the two-game span. 

The tandem returned to action last night in a narrow 70-67 loss to No. 4 Baylor. McCarty dropped in 16 points, but missed the potential game-tying three-pointer at the buzzer.