Men’s tennis dominates in Sunday double header

Sophomore Rodrigo Banzer fired a bullet down the right line, speeding past Purdue’s Stephan Koenigsfest to cement No. 11 Texas’ 4-0 victory over the Boilermakers.

The Longhorns faced a short turnaround on Sunday as they hosted both Purdue and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Texas came out aggressive against Purdue, sweeping the Boilermakers in doubles play for the first point.

“We’ve had some close matches so far this season,” sophomore Harrison Scott said. “We just came out firing for the first match so we could get off the court quick and get ready for the next one.”

Freshman Christian Sigsgaard rebounded from a singles loss last week, dominating Purdue’s Gergely Madarasz for a 6-4, 6-1 win.

Banzer finished Purdue off, defeating Koenigsfest 6-1, 6-4 and claiming the final point for Texas.

“Today was the highest amount of energy and emotion that I’ve seen out of them,” head coach Michael Center said. “I thought it was a good overall effort by the guys.”

The Longhorns showed no signs of fatigue against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in game two, crushing the Islanders in doubles play to go up 1-0. 

Sophomore Julian Zlobinsky pummeled freshman Gonzalo Achondo 6-2, 6-1 to give Texas a 2-0 lead. Banzer continued his big day with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over the Islanders’ Paul Cook.

Redshirt freshman Leonardo Telles delivered the knockout blow for the Longhorns, outlasting Cagatay Soke 6-4, 6-4.

“I feel like everybody plays a part in our team,” Telles said. 

Up next, Texas will travel to Virginia for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.

-Justin Martinez