Volleyball begins transition to spring season

Texas Volleyball already has its sights set on fighting back to a third straight national championship appearance. 

The program released the 2017 spring season schedule on Monday. The Longhorns will open their season by traveling to Houston on April 8 for the F.A.S.T. Tournament. The following weekend, Texas will travel to Dallas to compete at the Collegiate Showcase Tournament. 

The Longhorns will wrap up the spring season with a home game at Gregory Gym on Tuesday, April 18 against North Texas. 

The Longhorns lost starting setter Chloe Collins and the team’s second-leading hitter in Paulina Prieto Cerame after they signed to play professionally overseas. However, Texas will return two First Team All-Americans in Ebony Nwanebu and Micaya White. The Longhorns also boast what is arguably the top recruiting class in the nation. 

The Longhorns’ commits include the nation’s No. 1 recruit according to PrepVolleyball, Lexi Sun, as well as No. 2 Brionne Butler and No. 6 Ashley Shook. 

Although the Longhorns have faced heartbreak in back-to-back national championship defeats, Texas has no time to hang its head. Head coach Jerritt Elliott will have yet another solid squad that has the potential to reach the national championship yet again. 

—Alex Briseno