Cox, Smith earn individual honors amongst team success

After a hot start to the season, including wins over ranked teams in Georgia and Auburn, two individual members of the men’s and women’s swims team have been recognized for their performances. Seniors Clark Smith and Madisyn Cox were both named National Swimmers of the Week.

Smith, the son of former Longhorn and U.S. Olympic swimmer Tori Trees and former NCAA champion and Texas alumnus John Smith, won the award for the second time. Cox earned her fourth career Swimmer of the Week honor.

Cox’s effort against Georgia contributed greatly to a historic upset, shattering the Bulldogs’ 103-meet win streak at home. Cox and the Longhorns handed Georgia its first home loss since 1995. The Lubbock native won the 200-yard freestyle, the 200-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard IM while also being a key member of the meet-opening 200-yard medley relay team.

Smith contributed to the team win with victories in the 1,000-yard freestyle, in which he owns the American record, and in the 500-yard freestyle, an event he triumphed in at the 2015 NCAA Championship.

Smith, Cox and the Longhorn men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams resume dual-meet competition on Jan. 27 when they host Arizona for a two-day dual meet.