Longhorns still owe Strong following South Florida deal

Texas will have to pay two head coaches significant money over the next two years, even after former head coach Charlie Strong was named to the same position at South Florida on Sunday.

In addition to the $5 million owed to new head coach Tom Herman in 2017, the Longhorns will shell out over $4.5 million to Strong. Texas’ leader from 2014–16 still had two years left on his contract when he was fired on Nov. 26, each year worth over $5 million.

Following Strong’s deal with South Florida, Texas’ financial burden is lessened, but not by much. According to the Tampa Bay Times, the Bulls will pay Strong $9.8 million over the next five years, but the contract is backloaded. He is set to make just $1 million for the first two years of the contract.

Strong’s buyout with the Longhorns is structured to be offset by 50 percent should he find another head-coaching job. However, with the first two years at South Florida netting Strong just $1 million, the Longhorns only save $500,000 per year.

So while things didn’t end well for Strong on the field in 2016, they were appreciably better off it. He was named the head coach of a team that went 10–2 last year and will stand to make $4.7 million per year from his former employer through 2018.

Texas fired Strong after a 16–21 record over three seasons, replacing him with its top candidate in Herman. The coaching carousel is done in Austin, but it will cost the Longhorns roughly $10 million over the next two years.