Longhorn women shine at Texas Invitational

With five school records broken and a top national time achieved, the Longhorn women washed away any doubts about their ability. 

The meet started with Texas breaking a school record in the only event of day one, the 800-yard freestyle relay. The Longhorns beat the previous record by nearly two full seconds, finishing with a time of 6:56.52. 

Day two featured three school records — two individual and one relay — and a national best time. Senior Madisyn Cox finished the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:52.83, the top national time and a school record. The 400-yard medley relay featured two school records in one race, with senior Tasija Karosas notching the record for the 100-yard backstroke with a 51.08 split to lift the team to a record-breaking 3:29.77 time in the 400-yard medley relay. 

In day three, Karosas lowered her record set the night before from 51.08 to 50.86, winning the 100-yard backstroke while Cox went on to win the 400-yard individual medley with a 4:03.16 finish, the second-fastest time in Texas history.

Texas picked up four wins on day four. The Longhorns finished No. 1 and No. 2 in the 200-yard backstroke with Karosas (1:51.65) beating freshman Claire Adams (1:52.43). Cox swam a 2:07.21 in the 200-yard breaststroke, good for her third win and the nation’s fourth-fastest time. 

Texas finished strong, winning the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:12.29. The time was the best in the nation so far this year, even faster than Stanford’s star-studded relay featuring three Olympians. 

The Longhorns have a lengthy break before starting back up against Auburn on Jan. 12.