Longhorn swimmers rack up wins in day two of the Texas Invitational

Texas swimmers had a big day in the pool Thursday at the Texas Invitational as many Longhorns looked to punch their ticket to the NCAA National Championships. 

The Longhorn men started strong in the 10 a.m. preliminary round, with senior Clark Smith taking the 500-yard freestyle preliminary with a time of 4:12.83, fast enough to qualify for nationals. Smith again came out on top in the event final during the 6 p.m. session.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, sophomores Tate Jackson and John Shebat, junior Brett Ringgold and senior Jack Conger emerged triumphant with a winning time of 1:16.73. The mark was enough to qualify for nationals. In the 50-yard freestyle final, Conger came in third.

The Longhorn women took down three school records and earned wins in the 200- and 400-yard medley relays.

Senior Madisyn Cox won the 200-yard medley by three seconds and broke the school record in the event with a time of 1:52:83. The 400-yard medley relay team also beat a school record with their time of 3:29:77. Senior Tasija Karosas led off with a time of 51.08, breaking her own school record in the backstroke split. Cox followed with the breaststroke, sophomore Remedy Rule swam the butterfly portion and junior Rebecca Millard sealed the deal with the freestyle split. 

Texas also placed second in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Sophomore Joanna Evans placed fourth in the 500-yard freestyle, and Millard and Rule placed No. 3 and 6, respectively, in the 50-yard freestyle.

The Invitational continues on Friday at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center with preliminaries starting at 10 a.m. and finals at 6 p.m.