D'Onta Foreman, Michael Dickson named individual award finalists

A pair of Longhorns were named finalists for two of the nation’s highest honors on Monday, as running back D’Onta Foreman was named a finalist for the Doak Walker Award and punter Michael Dickson was one of three players to qualify for the Ray Guy Award.

Foreman’s selection as a finalist comes on the heels of his 51-carry performance against Kansas on Saturday. He currently leads college football in rushing yards, compiling 1,863 yards in 10 games. His 2016 campaign places him third all-time in Longhorn history in rushing yards in a single season.

If the junior from Texas City were to win the award, he would join Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson as the only Longhorns to ever win the award. Williams paired his Doak Walker Award in 1998 with a
Heisman Trophy.

Dickson’s path to Ray Guy consideration has been far from smooth. He struggled last year in his first season with the burnt orange, often flustered by defenses rushing at him as he prepared to kick.

But the Australian has adjusted quite well in 2016, booming 22 punts over 50 yards on the year. He has averaged over 47 yards per punt, good for No. 4 in the nation.

Both the Doak Walker and Ray Guy awards will be given after the season on Dec. 8 at The Home Depot College
Football Awards. 

Until then, Foreman and Dickson will have one more opportunity to impress voters on the field, facing off against TCU on Friday. Kickoff is slated for 2:30 pm from Darrell K Royal–Memorial Stadium in Austin.