Texas battles Bobcats in fall-season finale

The Longhorns (6–0) will close out the fall season on Thursday with a matchup against Texas State, heading home after a two-game series with UTSA. Texas dominated the Road Runners in San Antonio over the weekend, winning by scores of 6-0 and 13-5, respectively. 

“I’m pretty happy with the way we played,” sophomore outfielder Reagan Hathaway said. “We’re getting better and better each game our defense has been really solid lately, so it’s all coming along for us.”

The Longhorns faced a four-run deficit in the second game of the weekend, but never faltered. The burnt orange maintained their composure and stuck together, executing their game plan as a team to stage a comeback victory

“Once we get it going, it’s not hard to stay locked in at all,” freshman infielder Kaitlyn Slack said. “We had to work through a little bit of adversity for the first time this fall, but we got through it together.”

Texas hopes to cap off their fall season with one more win in front of their home crowd, but it won’t be easy. The team has had trouble with the Bobcats before, losing 6-0 in last year’s fall season and splitting the regular season series 1-1. 

“It’s always a tough matchup,” senior outfielder Stephanie Wong said. “They’re a really good team that always brings a fight to us, so we’re all excited about it.”

Aside from the Bobcats talented roster, Texas will also face former Longhorn Cat Osterman. The three-time USA Softball National Player of the Year helps call the shots from the Texas State dugout as an assistant coach. 

“That’s always a fun side note that she’s coaching over there,” head coach Connie Clark said. “She’s done a really nice job with her pitching staff, so we’ll be challenged up.”

Texas draws closer to regular-season form with every contest, but still sees room for improvement. The Longhorns will look to further polish their game on Thursday and finish the fall with a strong final performance.

“Really, it’s about us,” Clark said. “We have to run bases better and keep making adjustments at the plate regardless of who is in the other dugout.”