Women’s tennis picks up 28 wins at Kitty Harrison Invitational

The Longhorns finished up a big weekend with 28 wins in their three days at the Kitty Harrison Invitational in North Carolina.

The Longhorns went 19-3 in singles events and 9-2 in doubles events. Even so, head coach Howard Joffe believes the team still has room for improvement.

“The ladies performed outstandingly in singles this weekend as evidenced by the pretty dominant number of wins that were racked up,” Joffe said. “It’s clear that our doubles will need some attention as we lead into the spring.”

All-Big 12 senior Neda Koprcina highlighted the Longhorns’ performance. Koprcina defeated Minnesota’s Camila Vargas Gomez in two sets on Sunday to finish the weekend 3-0 in singles and 1-2 in doubles.

Junior Dani Wagland also produced a strong showing, finishing 2-0 in singles and 2-1 in doubles. Sophomore Katie Poluta added a 3-0 singles and 3-0 doubles record while sophomore Chelsea Crovetti finished 2-1 in singles and 2-0 in doubles. 

Freshman Bianca Turati also impressed in her collegiate debut with a 3-0 record in singles and a 3-0 record in doubles.

“Bianca Turati played some very steady tennis throughout and went undefeated at the No. 1 spot,” Joffe said.  “All in all, it was a good weekend and a nice opportunity for the entire team to bond.”

Texas begins spring tournament play on Jan. 13.