Men, women’s tennis head to ITA Texas Regional Championships

Texas looks to solidify its place as the top tennis program in the state at this weekend’s ITA Texas Regional Championships, hosted by TCU.

The four-day tournament includes a singles and doubles draw and features players from every Division I program in the state. The winners qualify for next month’s USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in New York, where they’ll match up with the victors from the remaining regional events.

For the men, freshman Christian Sigsgaard is the only Texas player to have already earned a place in the New York tournament, after advancing through the round of 16 at the ITA All-American Championships in early October. The newcomer lost in the semifinals but finished the event with a stellar 11–1 record.

At last year’s regional, sophomore Harrison Scott fell in the round of 16 to Texas Tech’s Alex Sendegeya, marking the furthest any Texas player advanced. The Longhorns are expected to have a far more favorable showing this time around, with promising new additions and a more experienced roster.

The Longhorn women also bring a talented team to the event. Senior Neda Koprcina is ranked No. 82 in singles, while junior Dani Wagland sits at No. 113.

This tournament comes two weeks after a disappointing showing for the women at the ITA All-American Championships in Los Angeles, California. Koprcina won her first match against Mississippi State’s Anastasia Rentouli in a sweep, but was unable to clinch a spot in the qualifying rounds with a three-set loss in her second match to Michigan’s Kate Fahey.

The tournament begins Thursday and concludes Monday.