Longhorns gear up for action-packed sports weekend

Men’s swimming and diving

After a second straight national title and an off-season filled with Olympic triumph, the Texas men’s swimming and diving team is set to make a splash in Bloomington, Indiana, for the first meet of the season against Indiana and Florida.

Head coach Eddie Reese, who coached the Singapore national team at the Olympics, said the team didn’t do anything special to prepare for its first meet.

“We’ll do a few starts and turns and relay takeoffs,”  Reese said. “But other than that, it’s just a measure to see where we are and work out and see what we need to work on … when you’re in a race it magnifies whether your turns are good or your starts are good especially against other teams.”

The meet also gives the swimmers their first chance to work towards their season-long goals. Senior Clark Smith said the team has a variety of both team and individual achievements to look forward to.

“Obviously [an NCAA Championship] three-peat would be great,” Smith said. “But right now we’ve got a meet coming up this week, and most of us will be going for NCAA cuts in December at the Hall of Fame Invite here, so that’s what we’re looking at right now.”

Texas hits the pools on Friday and wraps up competition on Saturday.

— Wills Layton

Men’s Golf

The No. 5 Longhorns are in Alpharetta, Georgia, this weekend as they get set for the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate. Seventeen teams begin play on Friday, Oct. 21 on two courses.

Tee times for Friday and Saturday begin at 9 a.m. On Sunday, all the teams will play the Lakeside course with tee times at 8 a.m.

The Longhorns team fields sophomore Steven Chervony, juniors Doug Ghim, Scottie Scheffler, and Taylor Funk and senior Gavin Hall.

Texas looks to recapture the tournament’s title after winning the event in 2014.

— Russell Jones