Men's golf, tennis continue tournaments away from Austin

Men's Tennis: Several Longhorns move on at ITA All-American Championship

Five Longhorn tennis players earned a berth into the second round of singles qualifying draws at the ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The event marks the first of four individual national championship events during the collegiate season. 

Players need three total wins in the qualifying draw in order to advance to the main draw, which begins Thursday. Those who remain will join teammate senior George Goldhoff, whose No. 23 preseason individual ranking allowed him to forgo the grueling pre-qualifying and qualifying rounds.

Sophomore Harrison Scott — who is coming off a singles title win at the John Breaux Cajun Tennis Classic — defeated Michigan’s Carter Lin in his tournament debut Monday in three sets. He will face Lukas Finzelberg of Oklahoma State in round two. Freshmen Christian Sigsgaard, Yuya Ito and Leonardo Telles and sophomore Rodrigo Banzer join Scott in the tournament’s second qualifying round. 

Rounds two and three of the qualifying draw conclude Tuesday, and the main draw is set to begin Thursday morning. The rest of the team will gear up for the Houston Futures tournament, which begins Friday.

Men’s Golf Tied For Eighth After Second Round

The No. 5 Longhorns finished 11-over par in a tie for No. 8 after the second round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth.

Senior Gavin Hall shot a 71 to move up into a tie for No. 8 on the second day of the tournament. Junior Doug Ghim also carded a 71, tying at No. 27 with sophomore Steven Chervony, who shot a 73. Junior Scottie Scheffler shot a 74 and sophomore Taylor Funk ended the day with a 79.

Vanderbilt leads the tournament with a 9-under par. The final round tees off 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday.