Longhorn players rack up Big 12 honors

In addition to picking up a big win over No. 8 Kansas on Saturday, two Longhorns also received individual awards for their performances last week. 

Freshman outside hitter Micaya White earned a Big 12 Freshman of the Week title while junior outside hitter Ebony Nwanebu claimed Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week honors. 

Texas went 2-0 last week with wins over West Virginia and the Jayhawks, and White and Nwanebu were integral pieces of the Longhorns’ success. 

White recorded 40 kills in the two matches while Nwanebu registered 33. The two players rank No. 1 and No. 2 on the team in total kills this season — White has 184 and Nwanebu has 157. 

It’s White’s third time to win the conference’s freshman of the week award in the last four weeks. She leads the Longhorns in two important offensive categories: points and kills. 

Despite the freshman’s success, White also leads the team in a negative offensive category — attacking errors. She racked 51 errors in 42 sets played. Nwanebu has committed 33 attacking errors in 36 sets played. 

White’s errors are likely to decrease as she gains more experience. Her offensive acumen currently outweighs her occasional slip up and could potentially lead to more awards before season’s end.