Sophomore tennis player wins singles title, junior golf player competes in world tournament, women's golf wins tournament crown

Scott picks up singles title for men’s tennis

Texas sophomore Harrison Scott rallied from a set behind to win the singles title at the John Breaux Cajun Tennis Classic.

Scott’s victory came over the highest-ranked opponent he’s faced in his career, No. 15 William Bushamuka of Kentucky. 

After dropping the first set, Scott forced the tiebreaker in the second set, but found himself down to Bushamuka 4-0 in the third set. Scott claimed the next seven points to win the set and went on to grab the victory.

“It really was a great tournament and tremendous effort from Harrison this weekend,” head coach Michael Center said.  “He beat one of the best players in the country today, and I think he showed everybody around the country what kind of competitor he is.”

Prior to Sunday’s victory, Scott’s top win came against No. 45 Hugo Di Feo of Ohio in the third round of the 2016 NCAA championships.

Next weekend the team will compete in two events. The Rice Invitational begins Friday in Houston, while the pre-qualifying draws of the ITA All-American Championships start in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Men’s golf’s Scheffler competes in international tournament

Junior Scottie Scheffler finished 31st in the World Amateur Team Championship in Riviera Maya this week. Held at Mayakoba El Camaleon Golf Club, the tournament showcased amateur talent from 71 different countries.

The Dallas native was one of three college players from the United States selected to compete in the event. The American team consisted of Scheffler, Oklahoma’s Brad Dalke and Stanford’s Maverick McNealy.

Scheffler finished with a 284 total against 212 players from around the world. His score helped the United States finish in a tie for sixth place.

Hoffman leads women’s golf to first tournament crown in five years

Led by freshman Emilee Hoffman, the Longhorns took home their first tournament crown since 2011 at the Lady Paladin Invitational at Furman University Golf Course. Hoffman shot a 286 in the third round to secure first place in the tournament and Texas’ victory. 

“It feels great to get my first collegiate win,” Hoffman said. “I was just trying to stay patient today and play my own game. I’m really excited about our team win, too!”

Junior Sophia Schubert also finished in the top five, finishing 2-under par for the event.

The Longhorns return to action on Oct. 9 at the Jim West Invitational at the Carlton Woods Golf Club.