Rookie quarterback Shane Buechele named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week for second week in a row

Texas quarterback Shane Buechele was named the Big 12 Conference’s Newcomer of the Week for the second consecutive week Monday. 

The award comes after Buechele’s impressive performance against UTEP on Saturday night. He completed 22 of his 27 pass attempts for 244 yards and four touchdowns while also adding 34 yards on the ground.

Buechele’s efforts helped lead the Longhorns to a 41-7 victory over the Miners, giving Texas its first 2-0 start since 2012. 

The freshman has six passing touchdowns through two games, a number that already ties the record for most touchdown passes by a true freshman quarterback at Texas. With the start against UTEP, Buechele also became the first true freshman Texas quarterback to start the first two games of his career.

Buechele has also climbed the Big 12’s statistical leaderboards in his first two starts. He ranks second in the conference in passing efficiency and first in completion percentage. He boasts a quarterback rating of 188.3 and has completed over 71 percent of his passes.

The Texas signal caller will go for his third straight Newcomer of the Week honor when the Longhorns travel to Berkeley this Saturday to take on California.