Men's tennis prepares for 2016 season

Texas doesn’t embark on its 2016–17 tennis season until Sept. 16, but the Longhorns are already making collegiate tennis news. Senior George Goldhoff and freshman Yuya Ito were invited to play at the 2016 Oracle ITA Masters next month. 

The annual Oracle ITA Masters is comprised of 32 collegiate athletes from around the nation and is one of only four national championship events during the season. This year’s tournament will take place in Malibu, California, Oct. 13-16. 

Goldhoff made his way into the field via the Big 12 Conference’s bid, but Ito snuck in by way of an at-large selection, making him one of four players selected as a “wild card.” Ito had the highest Universal Tennis Rating among those vying for an at-large bid. 

A native of Japan, Ito heads to Texas with several international accolades. He’s ranked as high as No. 62 in the International Tennis Federation world junior rankings and has earned two victories at ITF events. 

Goldhoff proved his prowess for Texas at the NCAA Championships, going 3-0 at No. 1 singles while sending the Longhorns to the round of 16. His ITF ranking soared to a career-best No. 40. 

Before Goldhoff and Ito compete in Malibu, they’ll first start the season for Texas at the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational in Midland, Texas.