Strong talks quarterback battle, Jacorey Warrick

Head coach Charlie Strong addressed the media shortly after the team scrimmaged on Saturday. He discussed how individual players are progressing two weeks ahead of the season opener against Notre dame. 

Quarterback battle is quietly shaping up 
Senior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes and freshman Shane Buechele have been locked in a tight quarterback battle since Spring.

But Strong said he has an idea of which quarterback will start for Texas in week one — he just won’t announce it.

“The decision will be made and then the team will know,” Strong said. “But I’m not going to put it out there because I don’t want Notre Dame [to know.]” 

He went on to say he doesn’t even have to make an official announcement to the team about the choice he and offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert make — it will be self-explanatory. 

Strong said that both quarterbacks have shown promise and will get a chance on opening night.

“They both made really good throws and had some really good runs when they pulled the ball a couple of times on the quarterback run,” Strong said 

Strong talks up receiver Jacorey Warrick  
Recent talk about Texas football has revolved around the quarterback battle and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Heard’s transition from starting quarterback to wide receiver. 

But Strong said senior receiver Jacorey Warrick deserves some of the spotlight after shining through the first two weeks of camp.

“We just need to get the ball caught and never let allow the ball go over our head where we lose yardage,” Strong said. “The guy that’s doing a really good job for us right now is Jacorey Warrick.” 

Warrick is coming off a season in which he caught just six passes for 35 yards. But don’t be surprised if he cruises by those numbers early this season.

“I think [Warrick’s] having an unbelievable camp right now,” Strong said. “He’s making all of the catches and he’s just practicing so hard. You feel him.”