Texas finishes second at Big 12 Championship

Sophomore Sophia Schubert entered the final round at The Dominion Country Club in fourth place, only two shots off the lead. A final round score 71 pushed her into a tie for second and helped give the Longhorns a runner-up finish at the Big 12 Championship. 

Schubert’s final score of 3-under par was six shots off the pace of the overall winner — Oklahoma State sophomore Kenzie Neisen. Neisen fired a 6-under 66 in the final round, the lowest score by any player all weekend. 

While Schubert’s 71 on Sunday catapulted her into a 2nd place finish, it was junior Julia Beck who carded the lowest score of the day for the Longhorns — a 2-under round of 70. 

“I came in very focused, but relaxed this weekend,” Beck said. “I really just tried to have no expectations and play my game.”

Beck joined Schubert in the top five as the two combined to shoot 4-under. Texas was 3-over par as a team while Oklahoma State blew the competition off the course with a team score of 8-under.

Texas went to San Antonio, Texas, for the championship tournament having not won as a team all season. The Longhorns, however, had six top-five team finishes, so Schubert was prepared to make a run at the title.

“I knew that as a team and individually, that we could win and had a good shot,” Schubert said. “I also knew that we were kind of the underdogs, so we were going to have to fight and that gave us motivation.”

Schubert and her teammates will be glued to the TV today a 5 p.m. as Golf Channel holds the NCAA Selection Show. The NCAA Regional Championship is slated for May 5-7.