Longhorns score high in APR

Five Texas programs recorded perfect scores in the NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate report released on Wednesday. Of the Longhorns’ 20 programs, men’s basketball, men’s tennis, women’s basketball, women’s swimming and diving and volleyball all finished with a perfect APR of 1,000. APR is calculated via a holistic approach, taking into account eligibility, retention and graduation.

All 20 programs recorded a score of at least 970, including football, which made a 13-point increase from its 2014 mark. Now sitting at 971, head coach Charlie Strong’s team now has its highest APR since the implementation of the system in 2004–05.

Six programs received recognition for their most recent APR in the past week, leading the Big 12. The Longhorns men’s teams posted an average score of 988, while the women’s teams averaged a score of just under 994.

“This once again gives me great pride in the dedication and effort our student-athletes put into competing for their teams, giving back to the community and excelling in the classroom,” Texas men’s athletics director Mike Perrin said. “These consistently high APR scores also reinforce the emphasis our coaches and staff place on education, graduation and our steadfast commitment to the overall development of our student-athletes.”