Schubert shines, but Texas falls short in Arizona

Sophomore Sophia Schubert posted two rounds under par, but it wasn’t enough to carry Texas to a top five finish in the PING/ASU Invitational this weekend. The Longhorns wound up in seventh place among the 14 teams competing at the Tempe, Arizona, tournament.

Schubert took home an individual top five, finishing tied for fourth position in the field of 78 players. She finished at 4-under par in the three round tournament. 

Senior Natalie Karcher fired a 5-under 67 on Saturday, but played her other two rounds in 13-over. She was the Longhorns’ second best finisher, placing tied for 36th. 

“Aside from Natalie’s 67 and Sophia’s T-4 finish, it simply was not a great effort,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “And when you play in a field this strong, it shows.”

Texas finished the tournament a combined 27-over par. UCLA won the event with a combined score of 12-under. 

Murphy said that his team has a lot of work to do in the coming weeks to prepare for the upcoming Big 12 Conference Championship. He expects Schubert to continue her hot play, though.

“Her ball-striking was very solid and her putter was sharp,” Murphy said of Schubert. “She is coming into good form as we approach our postseason play.” 

The conference tournament takes place April 22-24 at The Dominion Country Club in San Antonio, Texas.