Akinosun wins Athlete of the Week award

Texas' Morolake Akinosun competes in the women's 100-meter dash during the Texas Relays, Saturday, April 2, 2016, in Austin, Texas.

Senior Morolake Akinosun claimed the Big 12 Athlete of the Week on Wednesday following her record-setting performance in the Texas Relays. Akinosun became the first woman to win the 100-meter race three consecutive years at the Relays, clocking in at 11.07 seconds. The time was her best of the year and currently ranks as the No. 1 time in the world for 2016. 

In addition to her individual success, Akinosun participated in the Longhorns’ 4x400 relay team. The 4x400 group clocked in at 3:26.54, good for the top spot in the nation and sixth all-time in the Longhorns’ record book.

Akinosun became the third Longhorn to win Athlete of the Week in 2016, joining Ariel Jones and Asa Garcia. Jones and Garcia shared the award following the season’s opening week.

Big 12 Athlete of the Week marks just another accolade in Akinosun’s accomplished career. Akinosun holds the Texas record in the 200 meters and joined Jackie Joyner-Kersee as one of two women to score in four events in consecutive years.

The Texas Relays served as one of the finest points in Akinosun’s career. But the senior from Aurora, Illinois, isn’t done yet. The Longhorns still have four events before the Big 12 Championships in May, beginning with the LSU Alumni Gold on April 23.