Several Longhorns honored by Big 12

Multiple Longhorns were honored by the Big 12 on Wednesday, just ahead of this weekend’s conference tournament.

Senior center Imani Boyette took home Co-defensive Player of the Year honors, sharing the honor with Oklahoma State senior guard Brittney Martin. It’s the first time a Longhorn has won the award since it inaugurated in 2006. Boyette averaged 3.14 blocks per game this year to bring her career total up to 290.

The conference also selected Boyette to the All-Big 12 First Team. Sophomore guard Brooke McCarty joined her, giving Texas two such selections. Boyette and McCarty both lead Texas (26–3, 15–3 Big 12) in scoring with 12.0 points per game, respectively. McCarty shot a team-best 44.9 percent from three-point range in conference play.

Sophomore guard Ariel Atkins was named to the All-Big 12 Second Team despite missing the first nine games of the season recovering from ankle surgery. Atkins started in seven games and averaged 10.0 points per game. Senior guards Empress Davenport and Celina Rodrigo received All-Big 12 Honorable Mention nominations. Both players were regular starters, only missing two starts between the two. 

McCarty and Atkins received All-Big 12 Freshman Team honors last year in addition to their respective awards this season.

The Big 12 tournament begins for Texas on Saturday night at 6 p.m. The second-seeded Longhorns will play either TCU or Kansas.