Hossler, Hall lead Texas men's golf to second-straight victory

No. 6 Texas men's golf captured its second-straight victory of the spring season on Friday at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate in Hawaii, winning by five shots over California.

Texas was  one of only three teams to finish under par for the tournament, shooting 20-under. California came in second at 15-under followed by Texas A&M at 1-under.

Juniors Beau Hossler and Gavin Hall each tied for first place with California's K.K. Limbhasut and Hawaii's Skye Inakoshi at 6-under par. Hossler rebounded from a 3-over 75 on Thursday to shoot a 4-under 68 on Friday. Hall was the only Longhorn to break par in all three rounds, shooting scores of 69, 71 and 70.

“I am thrilled that our team was able to come to Hawaii and get our second win of the year," head coach John Fields said. "Each of our individuals had some memorable highlights during the three rounds and for Beau and Gavin to share the individual championship is outstanding."

Hossler has finished first in three events this season. The last time a Longhorn won three times in one season was Brandon Stone in 2013. Hall picked up the first victory of his career.

Sophomore Doug Ghim tied for seventh after shooting a 1-over 73 on Friday. Sophomore Scottie Scheffler tied for 26th at 2-over with freshman Steven Chervony, who competed as an individual and made the first start of his career.

Redshirt sophomore Branson Davis finished in 48th at 7-over. Also competing as individuals, redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk tied for 41st at 5-over, redshirt sophomore Kalena Preus tied for 53rd at 9-over and redshirt senior Tayler Termeer tied for 57th at 10-over.

The Longhorns have now won their first two events of the spring season after not claiming a single victory in the fall. Texas has followed a similar trend to last season when it won only one tournament in the fall before racking up six victories in the spring.

Texas will be back in action Mar. 7-9 at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters in Las Vegas.