No. 6 Texas men’s golf still in first after second round in Hawaii

No. 6 Texas men’s golf started the second round of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Thursday holding a 12-shot lead. By sundown in Hawaii, the Longhorns’ lead had been cut to seven.

The tournament has become a two-team race with Texas and California, the only teams under par heading into Friday’s third and final round.

Texas shot 4-under par to finish the day at 16-under overall. California entered the day at even par but shot the low total of the round with a 9-under outing. California’s K.K. Limbhasut boasted the low round of the day with a 6-under 66, propelling him into first at 7-under.

Junior Gavin Hall followed up his opening round 69 with a 1-under 71, giving him share of second place at 4-under. Junior Beau Hossler entered the day holding a two-shot lead but struggled to a 3-over 75, putting him in a tie for eighth at 2-under. 

Sophomores Doug Ghim and Scottie Scheffler each shot 70 and 72. Redshirt sophomore Branson Davis vaulted up the leaderboard 34 spots, firing a 71 after opening with a 7-over 79 on Wednesday.

Freshman Steven Chervony shot a 73, putting him in a tie for 25th.  Redshirt sophomore Kalena Preus shot a 74 to finish the day in a tie for 30th. Fellow redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk shot a 71 to finish in a tie for 43rd, and redshirt senior Tayler Termeer shot a 78 to finish in a tie for 59th. All four are competing as individuals. 

Final round action will begin Friday at 12:30 p.m.