No. 6 Texas men’s golf in first after opening round in Hawaii

The No. 6 Texas men’s golf team picked up right where it left off just over two weeks ago.

The Longhorns followed up their win in Arizona with a roaring start on Wednesday in Hawaii at the John Burns Intercollegiate. Texas opened with a 12-under par outing in the first round, finishing 12 shots ahead of California.

Junior Beau Hossler, who also won in Arizona, made five birdies and no bogeys to shoot a 5-under 67 and take a two-shot lead in the individual standings. Hossler has yet to shoot over par in a tournament this season, having broken par in all 10 rounds played.

Junior Gavin Hall and sophomore Scottie Scheffler finished the day tied for second at 3-under par after each posted 69s. Sophomore Doug Ghim finished in a tie for 10th at 1-under par after firing a 71. Redshirt sophomore Branson Davis, making his second career start, shot a 7-over 79 and sits in a tie for 81st.

Competing as individuals, junior Kalena Preus and freshman Steven Chervony each shot even par 72s to finish in a tie for 16th. Chervony is making the first start of his career.

Also competing as individuals, redshirt senior Tayler Termeer finished the day in a tie for 34th after shooting a 2-over par 74, and redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk ended in a tie for 69th after shooting a 6-over 78.

Second round action starts Thursday at 12:30 p.m. central.